Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my female rat "crazy rat" was found laying at the bottom of her cage not having full movement of her front legs. And for about 2 hours now she has started taking in each breath through her mouth and has been laying on her back/side. Without any way of getting her to the vet until tommorow, what should i do? She will not drink any water but has had some yogurt before she starting this gasping for breath thing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow, I would say vet ASAP. How old is she? Have you tried calling your vet to see if they recommend aything?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, about an hour after i posted the message she passed... her breathing slowed down and eventually just stopped. I got her from petco about 6 or 7 months ago so i am not sure of her age. Now i just wish i could figure out what happened to her, she sneezed alot and had more hair loss than my other rat, but i am not sure if that is just because she had white fur and my other rat has dark brown. So maybe bad genetics because she was from a pet store? The Petco i got her from was not too great of a place, as i went back a week or so ago and it looked like the same rat she was roomed with was all alone still. sad sad

·
Registered
73 Posts
oh my, so sorry for your loss. It's hard when you have them for such a short time. They touch a special little place in your heart. You're in my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm very sorry for your loss.

unfortunately without seeing the signs myself i can't really say for sure what this could have been. it could have been anything from a hidden respiratory illness to a stroke to a PT or even an annuerism. heck, she could have had a heart attack. i really can't tell based on this information alone. but this seems to be fairly routine for rats that come from PetCo's. they aren't really that recommended because of this very problem. the pets from there seem to die young or have serious and costly illnesses.

where are you located? perhaps we can help you find a rescue or breeder or even just a better pet store if you decide to get more rats in the future.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your little one :( I'm so sorry i can't help much but me and all my little ones are thinking of you. Twich has a good idea of maybe contacting a breeder instead?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i live in sacramento, CA i know of a few ratteries in sacramento that i check up online pretty often, just haven't found one yet. But its going to be hard to not want to "rescue" another rat from the dreaded PetCo.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it will be but you'd only be setting yourself up for more of the same. and really do you want them, who show no concern for their "product" to get your hard earned money to keep doing nothing with their animals? now i nkow there are still tons of other people buying from them and one person not buying isn't going hurt them any but its a start. check with youor local by-laws, maybe you can picket of send around a flyer letting people know the horrbile conditions. that would helpmore then just buying one rat if you can get the community behind you to get them to change their ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts