Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I woke up and I noticed, easily, clearly that all of her fur on her haid was gone. My mom insissted it was the chocolate pudding we gave her last night and she somehow got it all over the fur on her head and work so hard to clean herself, that she ripped the fur off her head. I think she knows Stella could be sick... Cancer? But I assure you, my mom is saying this because she ndoesn't want to pay vet bills; we are remodling our new house, and nearly broke.

Stella doesn't look too well. I've been keeping an eye on her all day, and she has been breathing hard in her sleep, and her eyes are drooping.

One other thing I noticed, when we got her, her eyes are always bleeding. Every time she falls asleep, blood trickles out of her eyes socket, both eyes. Then, when I wake up in the morning, she has dry blood stuck all around her eyes. It's firghtening sometimes, and i know I'm not going to take any chances, because my mom will not let me take Stella to the vet, no matter what happens.

Could this be cancer? Has anone else here as a rat-caring-mom-ratforum-member have had a similar experience to their rat as I did to mine? Any suggestions on what it might be?

I tryed looking it up several times on the internet... Google, searching, {Bloody eyes and loss of hair in rats}, but it came up with inappropriate answers such as find a sexy girl/man. I hate those things... irratating.

So, I'll be very gratefull for help. Any kind of help is totally welcome.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Loss of hair?

Well, my first instinct was to suggest that maybe she's a double rex, because their hair will fall out naturally. That is until I kept reading. Chances are, it's not blood around her eyes, but porphyrin. This is a reddish substance that comes out in their eyes, and I think sometimes their nose and saliva. Now, this is normal, but if there's an excess of it, she's most likely sick. I would think maybe a URI? But this is just from me reading around here...I'm definitely no expert. I definitely think she needs to see a vet immediately, though. You really need to tell your mom that if not treated, this could easily lead to death. Seriously, you need to talk to her. And if she won't take her, can you not afford it?

I'm not trying to come off as rude, but I'm just wondering why this poor thing can't see a vet, when it seems quite obvious that she's sick..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, Rattiegma. I'll take your advice.

I'll survey her during the day more often.

One other thing I noticed this morning was that the "blood" smears, greatly. I touched it and I rubbed it between my finger, then I tasted it. The results were quite weird. The "blood" tasted like snot. The "blood" smeard all over my fingers like red food coloring, wouldn't come off. And the "blood" has crusty, yellow scabs. Her eyes are started to close. She looks sick.

Thanks for the help :). I'll se what I can do.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

not blood

porphyrin (rat mucus is red)

You put something that secreted from your rat in your mouth? Not only is that just plain sickening it is also extremely unwise & a practice you should immediately dismiss. Right now I don't know what is more disgusting, the fact that you did it or the fact that you would know what snot tastes like.

Didn't your parents ever tell you to never put anything in your mouth unless you absolutely know it is safe to do so!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts

A1APassion said:
not blood

porphyrin (rat mucus is red)

You put something that secreted from your rat in your mouth? Not only is that just plain sickening it is also extremely unwise & a practice you should immediately dismiss. Right now I don't know what is more disgusting, the fact that you did it or the fact that you would know what snot tastes like.

Didn't your parents ever tell you to never put anything in your mouth unless you absolutely know it is safe to do so!!!

hahahaha, that's what I was thinking.

ha

Ok, I'm done now. I swear. :p

·
Registered
468 Posts

rattusnorvegicus said:
Thanks, Rattiegma. I'll take your advice.

I'll survey her during the day more often.

One other thing I noticed this morning was that the "blood" smears, greatly. I touched it and I rubbed it between my finger, then I tasted it. The results were quite weird. The "blood" tasted like snot. The "blood" smeard all over my fingers like red food coloring, wouldn't come off. And the "blood" has crusty, yellow scabs. Her eyes are started to close. She looks sick.

Thanks for the help :). I'll se what I can do.

Ok, I'm sorry, but for the sake of this poor rat, I'm going to put this bluntly.

Your rat needs to see a vet. NOW.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, but you seem like you're not really getting the severity of the issue at hand, here. She needs to see a vet, or it's likely she will die.

And I know you said your mom won't take her to the vet, but I'm still trying to comprehend why you got a pet in the first place, especially one that is prone to illnesses, if you knew she wouldn't take your animal to the vet?

And on top of that, if you still wanted to get a rat, you should have gotten a job. It's not fair to this animal to have to suffer because you aren't responsible.

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now..

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Rattus is 9 or 10 (I believe, correct me if I am wrong)

I'm finding it hard to believe that, as you've said in the past how many books about rats that you've read - you can't tell the difference between blood and porphyrin.

And you should never put ANYTHING remotely rat-gunky in your mouth. Especially something that is very well known to be a secretion that is linked to an unhealthy rat. :roll: Dude, seriously now.

As for the hair loss - I can't comment without more info. Has she been scratching more than normal? Is there any irritation to the effected skin?? Pics would be really helpful.

From what you say - it sounds like you have a (if not now, but soon to be) sick rat. If you can't/won't get a vet to look at her, at least call them and ask their opinion?

I can't help but ask - didn't your other rat (Eskimo was it?) get taken to about 7 different vets in a few days? If your parents were so willing to accommodate Eskimo - you should definately push the vet card for Stella

·
Registered
468 Posts

Ouch. Well I had no idea he/she was 9 or 10. I wouldn't have been so harsh...

Rattus: Sorry if I came off as being really rude, I just want to make sure that your rattie gets the help that she needs..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

10. I'm turning 10 in April. April 8th, to be exact.

I associated a vet and he scedueled an appoinment with Stella on Saturday, this Saturday. Really, I mean I was going to go out with my dad to get a webkinz on Saturday, but what's more important? She needs help as soon as possible, yes. I trust this veternarian because he did surgery on Boogie, for free, and saved her life. He just couldn't help Eskimo when I needed help on that sittuation.

I forgive you, Rattiegma... if only you knew. My dad is an HP project manager, my mom is a mayor, and I am an author, serious! My dad ifriends with a publisher, and the publisher said he would publish my book for me once I find an illistrator. "The Gladiator Rat" is its title.

Yes, and I'll be sure to keep you updated after the vet appointment and now. You've really helped :). Thanks for all.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Re: Loss of hair? Bloody Eyes? ..::help::.. ***please??!**/

Loss of hair could be from the porphyrin (esp. around her eyes). Excessive porphyrin can "burn" off the hair.

If you rat is exuding this much porph and yellowish gunk too...she is severely ill!!
Has she stopped eating/drinking?

Is the appointment today?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts