Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19-month-old Bentley had a fall last week and everything seemed fine immediately afterward. But on Wednesday I noticed him pawing at his mouth (as if he was grooming) a lot, and yesterday I thought to look in his mouth. I found a (cleanly) broken upper right incisor, and a misaligned upper left, jutting forward. He was uninterested in his Oxbow kibble (though he'd still been eating it on Wed), but he ate some homemade mixed diet, which is mostly small, soft pieces. It was nighttime, so too late to call the vet.

This morning when I looked, the upper left incisor was gone! He seems perkier now and isn't rubbing at his mouth, so I suspect it was giving him a lot of bother. However, when we went to the vet, she noticed a little bruising and swelling in his mouth in front of his bottom incisors. She gave us some Metacam (anti-inflammatory/pain meds) for that. And she made sure the bottom teeth are still firmly rooted. I had thought they looked a bit long, but she said they're not overgrown (yet), and she's optimistic that he won't have much trouble with them once his upper right incisor grows back and he starts eating hard food again (though I'm a paranoid mama and skeptical of this). For now I'm to monitor how the broken tooth grows back in and keep offering the homemade diet and Oxbow kibble softened with water.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I feel sick about it. I hate that he's in pain. I gave him his first dose of Metacam an hour ago and he hated it, so I'll probably have to disguise the next few doses in oatmeal or something. He seems to like the softened kibble, and he's come out for playtime, which he was reluctant to do yesterday. But I still feel really anxious and crappy. Any advice or reassurance?

· Registered
1,807 Posts
We just had something similar happen with one of my boyfriend's old men. At some point, he had broken a bottom tooth and the other was growing very long. We noticed him losing weight but thought it might have been from his tumor. Just this week, my boyfriend checke dhis teeth and was shocked that the two bottom teeth looked splayed, one was shorter, and the other was so long it had begun poking into the roof of his mouth. Luckily the skin was only irritated and not broken or looked infected, but his face on that side looks a little puffy from the irritation. He was taken to the vet today, and had his bottom teeth clipped. The vet didn't seem to think he needed any antibiotics, but we're checking him often to make sure the swelling goes down.

Needless to say, he's having difficulty eating. All week we've been giving him a mix of powdered oxbow kibbles (blend them up to a dust in a blender or food processor and it will soak soft in hot water so much easier than whole kibbles), and baby food. He's also been given hard boiled egg, and nutrical to hopefully help him put some weight back on.

One of my boys despises metacam too.. It's impossible to feed him. She shrieks and struggles like i'm trying to pull a tooth or other torture. I have to hide it in a mix of nutrical and baby food. I also had the vet give me a stronger concentration of it so that i'd be able to give him a smaller dose with the same effect.

It will take a while, but your boy should hopefully feel better soon. Someone recently had their rat break off both top incisors when her young son accidentally stepped on the rat. From what I remember, their rat is doing great and recovering slowly but nicely. Just keep a close eye on his teeth to make sure they are still wearing down evenly so he doesn't have an overgrown tooth. He may need his teeth clipped if that happens.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that is reassuring. Hope your old man gets better quick!

I'm not convinced that one of Bentley's lower incisors (the left - the one that corresponds with the missing tooth) isn't overgrown. It's definitely longer than the other incisor and I'm worried that it could potentially reach the roof of his mouth, if not now then soon. How hard is it to trim teeth? I have cat nail clippers (like these) which I've heard will work. I'm just terrified of fracturing his tooth.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm pretty terrified of the idea of clipping teeth too! The vet will do it for you. But you can also ask the vet to show you how to do it so if it goes long again and you can't take him in, you can clip it yourself. I would maybe wait a bit. As long as it isn't touching the roof of his mouth and he's still eating pretty normally, you can wait until it gets longer. But if it is growing unevenly before the other tooth grows back to normal, you will have to get it clipped. Luckily it isn't too expensive. Some vets are nice and will do it for free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.