Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now been twenty four hours since Choo Choo disappeared.. him and Murlow were out wrestling on the floor in my room when my boyfriend and I took a trip to the grocery store at 10:45 lastnight.

We haven't seen him since.

I went outside first (I have a door to the outside and a door to the rest of the house in my room), my boyfriend had needed to put on his shoes still, so he lightly pushed the door closed. Just enough that a draft would come through, and Choo and Mur were both sniffing at the door. He insists that he remembers shooing both rats away from the door, that none got out.

I believe him.

We got home, and I can't recall seeing Choo after that. I remember Mur getting into the grocery bag while I continued lining their cage with the fleece, and put the pans back, then returned the rest of the boys to the cage from the carrier they had been waiting in. After that was the only time we had gone into the rest of the house, to grab a utensil and a cohple plastic baggies. I have no recollection of leaving either doors open long enough for Choo to escape when we used them, I don't remember a rat darting through when they were opened, Choo is not a rat to do that anyways. They all stand sniffing the air when the door is open. I assumed lastnight when we didn't see him that he was snuggled up in one of baskets of clothes like they always do.

He wasn't.

I noticed today at 11:30am that Choo wasn't around. We tore my entire room apart in search of him, I looked through every single article of clothing and he was not there. I've stood in silence in all the rooms in the house, hoping to hear something, but there is just silence.

It breaks my heart to think that I may never find him, he was my boyfriend's heart rat, and it's a terrible thought that he may be outside, freezing. The nights are so cold now, what if he didn't even get through lastnight? What if he did and he's still suffering?

I set up the cat carrier outside my bedroom door with some fleece, water, and food. It's not outside the door to the outside, it's inside in the hallway outside my door. I just hope to God he's not outside.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've found him! We decided to check the backyard more thoroughly, as there is a large pile of junk (including a couch), and he ended up hiding under the deck. I am so freaking glad. I was so sure that if he had gotten outside he never would have made it. :')

·
Registered
604 Posts
Omg that's amazing! I literally just breathed a sigh of relief for you lol. I'm so happy he is safe. Keep a good eye on them all from now on!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
My daughter took her part wild rat pup outside and left her there very long story short 5 months later she moved in with our neighbors pitbulls when it got colder and we got her back... She chased the feral cats out of our yard and removed a chunk of my neighbors hand when he tried to catch her for us... but otherwise she was fine. Although being part wild helped, there wasn't a hair out of place when we recovered her, she was fit and trim and her fur practically sparkled....

Rats are resourceful and they are designed to survive.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I'm so glad, I was so afraid something might have happened to him out there, he's not one to defend himself against other animals, and there are lots of cats around here. I would even be concerned about our dog, who has never really seen the rats, that she might have gone after him out there. I would never have expected him to get through the winter, either. -20c is pretty darn cold for the little guy!:(
He's just such a lucky rat, I thought I'd never find him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts