Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have had Shen my hooded albino dumbo, and Grey, my agouti hooded together since they were babies. Since then When has had ocasional scratches on him. But now he has bites scratches all over his shoulders, neck, and sides. He seems to always win the very few scuffles I have seen, but they do scuffle alot. But they also sleep together and seem to be friends. Grey has no marks at all. There were droplets of dried blood in the cage. Should I separate them? And I was just about to intro them with a juvenile Berkshire black named Grimm. Now I am worried he will have to wait and get to old for intros. What should I do?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
This may seem an odd reply, but often scratches around the shoulders and neck are scratch marks caused by mites which are often brought in by a new rat.... And no if your human you most likely can't see the mites... Do you see any unusual scratching among your rats?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not odd at all. But I have experience with mites and rats. A senior half blind rescue that was a " you take him or we are gonna feed him" situation. Everyone thought he had been in a fight, but I figured it out and brought him straight to the vet. We put him on revolution and he cleared up after a month. I quartined him very well with good cross contamination prevention. I thought it was mites to with Shen, but that was when it was scratches. Now it is obviously bites, and I see them sidling and tussling. I worked nights till recently so could not catch what was happening. May by tonight. None of my other five boys even have a mark on them. Not even the senior. And the bites are rectangular little teeth marks under the chin, armpits, and shoulders. He has had these off and on since being introduced with Greg when they were baby's. They just the past three days got worse. There are droplets of blood all over the cage, but not enough to concern me about bleeding to death. Just little bits. I really don't think it is mites, even if he did have them. I can get him checked. My vet seems to think I can recognize issues of that sort pretty well as far as visual sign's. Would the proving procedure be to catch them fighting? And/or skin scrape testing for mites? Wouldn't Greg at least look a little drab? He looks gorgeous! Not a mark and shiny silky fur.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Mostly I've seen biting around the rump and thighs... whereas mites tend to go for the head and neck area... That was my thinking... but if you are having fighting issues, they may be the result of you being away more or a change in your schedule... that would be my second thought...

I'm currently battling a very revolution resistant mite... two treatments (7 drops last treatment) and it looks like they're coming back again in only two weeks after the most recent treatment...

I never had issues like this before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts