Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My three girls poop all over the shelves in their cage. I have tried to litter train them, but they just never got the hang of it. (My boys do it just fine) I try to wipe the shelves off, but mostly I end up having to take them out and wash them every day, something I'm not thrilled with. I saw in some of the photos people have posted that their shelves are covered with cloth, and I've always wanted to do that but I'm wondering if it would be too much work to keep clean. I'm looking for suggestions and also directions for covering the shelves. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i use fleece and it's not too bad. sure my girls "miss" (i think they do it on purpose) the litter boxes all the time, but i just shake the fleece out (outside or over a large trash can) and throw them in the wash, it's not too bad. i get most of my fleece for pretty cheap from the walmart scrap bins and stuff like that, $2 will usually make a set of fleeces for my whole cage twice over, which is good since they do get ripped up and chewed on, etc. for my shelves, i cut all the fleece to size and then cut little holes in the corners and hook them to the shelves with binder rings.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have similar problems with the girls (and my boys) peeing and pooping on their shelves.

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6155.html

I just got some cheap fleece blankets, measured them to shelf size and sewed them double thickness. I'm planning on attaching them with eyelets and S hooks to the bars of the cage (if I can find any of the darn things)

Mine took me half hour each to make - so there's not that much work involved.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
dkirschling said:
My three girls poop all over the shelves in their cage. I have tried to litter train them, but they just never got the hang of it. (My boys do it just fine) I try to wipe the shelves off, but mostly I end up having to take them out and wash them every day, something I'm not thrilled with. I saw in some of the photos people have posted that their shelves are covered with cloth, and I've always wanted to do that but I'm wondering if it would be too much work to keep clean. I'm looking for suggestions and also directions for covering the shelves. Thanks!
my girls do exactly the same thing. i just deal with it every time i walk past the cage. the girls are destructive little buggers so there's no point in fleecing the shelves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts