Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought Rasta home from Petco about 3 days ago. In the store and in his carrier he was fine, as soon as I put him in his cage, I noticed he was sneezing. It is a lot of sneezing too, multiple back to back. No other symptoms. :confused:

Being from Petco, they do have a free vet visit if issues in 14 days, which I intend to use if the sneezing is not the normal new environment sneezes.

Oh, and I am using Aspen for the bedding.

Help?

I don't want to chance losing my sweet new baby, Rasta. He is a young one, probably 12 weeks old or so. (Rufus is like 5 weeks and he has no sneezing or health issues, and he was a snake feeder rescue. He was also the first rat I got. I had wanted rats for years and years. Hubby wasn't keen on it. When our friend decided her feeder rat was a bit too big for her snake she offered him to me, hubby agreed, and actually likes these sweet babies. So Rufus was a total rescue. Healthy as all get out considering the feed store he came from!)

Anyways, yes, any thoughts or ideas to help this worried new rat mom???
???

·
Registered
672 Posts
If petco will pay for a vet visit I would probably take them in to be on the safe side. Some rats can get sneezy just moving to a new home until they adjust to all the dust, odors, pet dander, etc in their new home. It is more than likely just that, however, because rats have such sensitive respiratory systems and can get really ill very fast I would get him seen. I do believe even though they pay for it, they reimburse you rather than pay upfront. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If petco will pay for a vet visit I would probably take them in to be on the safe side. Some rats can get sneezy just moving to a new home until they adjust to all the dust, odors, pet dander, etc in their new home. It is more than likely just that, however, because rats have such sensitive respiratory systems and can get really ill very fast I would get him seen. I do believe even though they pay for it, they reimburse you rather than pay upfront. Good luck!

Thank you. I made the call to Petco earlier. They pay it up front through a contract with a local exotics vet. Calling the vet in the morning for an appointment.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ahhhh cool! Well my daughter bought one at petco that was ill. They told her to take to a vet of her choice, then bring the receipt and they cut her a check. I guess different states do it differently. I hope your rattle is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhh cool! Well my daughter bought one at petco that was ill. They told her to take to a vet of her choice, then bring the receipt and they cut her a check. I guess different states do it differently. I hope your rattle is feeling better soon.
Thank you. Did your daughter's rat from Petco get better?

·
Registered
48 Posts
They usually sneeze when they're in a new environment, or if they're scarred/nervous. If it's not accompanied by any other symptoms then you shouldn't be concerned. Unless of course it persists, but definitely take advantage of that free vet check just to be sure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They usually sneeze when they're in a new environment, or if they're scarred/nervous. If it's not accompanied by any other symptoms then you shouldn't be concerned. Unless of course it persists, but definitely take advantage of that free vet check just to be sure!
Thank you, that is relieving to know. Yes, vet visit for free will be taken advantage of for sure. Thank you again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great news, Rasta's sneezing has almost completely gone away! Makes me feel so much better!
Now just to continue working on his trust training. And it took a few days for him and Rufus to become close buds, but found the cuddling the other day and saw Rasta grooming Rufus. I am just so happy with my boys! I love them to pieces!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts