Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Glad I found this forum.. I love it! I have 2 ratties, both female and one is about 6 weeks, the other 4 or so. I don't know their breed or color ( if you do please comment!! ) but here they are :D

image (2).jpg
This is Louise the day I got her, all snuggled up on the side haha. ( That's coconut bark she's on in the carrying cage only because that's what was in there before, she isn't on that in her cage now! ) { also, I don't know why the pic is upside down.. }

image (1).jpg
And this is Charlotte, aka Charlie. I just got her today as a companion for Louise, and she is super super sweet, already took a carrot from my hand!

Charlies ears are much smaller and point outwards, unlike Louise who's ears are large and point up. I know these are bad pictures but do any of you knoe what kind of rat they are? They were both rescues so I don't know their history or anything.. Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congrats on your new ratties!

There aren't actually different rat 'breeds' like there are with dogs or rabbits or horses. They're all 'fancy rats'. The differences in colour, fur type, and ears are just different genetics.

It's a bit hard to see from the pictures, but it looks like Louise is an albino (aka pink eyed white), though I can't really see the colour of her eyes. Are the black, dark ruby, or red?

As for Charlotte she definitely has dumbo ears (ears that are on the side of her head instead of the top), and if I had to guess colour I'd say... agouti? It's a bit hard to see though. xP

Regardless, they're super cute. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! and I would say Louise's eyes are red/ruby colored:) and I didn't know that about them! So wince Charlotte has dumbo ears will she get bigger? Or just her ears? This is my first time working with rats so excuse my ignorance XD

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope! The only difference between dumbos and top-eared rats is the position of the ears. :) The size they get to would probably depend on the size of their parents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts