Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, I have amalgamated two cages of girls into The Beast.

It's not a new intro - for the last 4 months they have been free-ranging together and for 2 weeks prior to being put in their new cage, I placed all 8 together in the same cage for 3 or 4 hours in an evening before their free-range time, to get used to living around each other.

First day - all went great. All 8 girls (they came from two cages of 4 each) got on swimmingly. No arguments - nothing.

Second night - Lou and Niki (the two Alphas) were squabbling all night. To the extent that I had to hook up the ladder in the cage to keep Lou in the top half and Niki in the bottom.

I let them back together the next day, and beyond the odd niggle, they've been fine.

But Lou seems to have fallen into a bit of a slump (she definately came off worse with the arguments with Niki, a couple of bites, but not bad enough to separate perminantly) and doesn't seem to be enjoying things as much as she used to. I've seen that she'll now sleep away from the others, she doesn't run up to the cage door any more - now it's all Niki.

The battle for Queen has been won - and Lou isn't taking it well.

Will Lou pick up from this downer? Or is there something I should be doing to help her? I feel sorry for the old girl, she's so used to being the one in charge and now it seems as if she's at the bottom of the pile :(

The other girls (from her original cage) are still treating her as if she's still the head of their pack - they will often come to her and groom her etc, especially her little buddy Max. But that comfort doesn't seem to be making any difference.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A1APassion said:
it will all work out... the dominance order changes fairly often, she may reclaim here title once again
Ah, I shall await the Battle Royale then :lol:

I see the change in dominance a lot with my boys - it's a different rat every other day right now (this is Mattie, Taz and Ivan) that's doing the pushing. Last night was Ivan - so cute to watch him push around big bummed Taz!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, at least there should be a light at the end of the tunnel for Lou

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were right - Lou was scrabbling with Niki again last night and this morning it was Lou in the cube with all the girls and Niki in the hammock next door :lol:

Title regained (for now!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts