Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many posts and had many questions debating whether rats are low maintenance pets or not. When people ask me if rats are low maintenance, I will tell them YES! Rats are lovely low maintenance pets. I would like to distinguish the difference however between a low maintenance pet and a no-maintenance pet. Though rats are lovely pets and easy to take care of, pet rocks are much easier. In fact, I believe that the only pet that does not require any maintenance would be a pet rock. But back to rats. Compared to other pets, rats are very easy to take care of. They have all the lovely qualities of the most popular pets and are affectionate, sweet, aware and caring little pets that will be the best of companions with the least amount of “work” put in. They do not need to be brought on hour long walks 3 times a day, they do not scratch apart your furniture and they are easy to clean up after if “mistakes” are made outside of their homes. What ratties DO need is a good cage cleaning every few days. This is very low-maintenance, I can deep clean and disinfect a rat starter kit in 10 minutes and a Critter Nation in 45 minutes. Cage cleaning is so important to your ratties’ health. In fact the best way to prevent any illness in your rats is to simply clean their cage every few days. The next most important part of owning ratties is having the space for them. Their homes must be 2′x2′ per rat to keep them happy and healthy and they must have a place where they can roam free for at least an hour a day! Again, this is easy to keep up and is important to their health. If I am busy I clean up my room, throw a fleece down and let my rats free roam while I work they get the exercise and fun time that they love and need and though even at my busiest I sneak in a few pets and kisses and cuddles, this makes them “easier to keep” than other pets. Veterinary trips may and probably will be a part of keeping any rat as they age. Vet trips are, in a practical sense, much easier and cheaper than vet trips for other pets as well.
To sum up this post, rats are low maintenance and do not require much, but please do not think that they are no maintenance. They have needs just like any other pet and deserve just as much attention and love. If you are looking for an easy pet, rats are a great option as long as you are ready to still care for them and treat them properly.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts