Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i didn't know my neighbor had snakes until today.. His daughter brought me over a baby rat around 6-7 weeks old today saying that their snake wouldn't eat it and they know I'm a rat lover. First off why tell a rat lover you are buying friggin feeder rats.. I have her away from my current girls that I'm doing introductions on. But this girl is so sweet, and clingy little thing too. Never had a rat this young or small and I think i've fallen in love with the tiny girl, not to mention I'm glad it was a female feeder rat... i cannot breed rats here of my mom would kill me. But because of the luck that she wasn't eaten I have named her lucky, it may be a generic pet name but i believe it fits, plan on taking her to the vet some time this coming week to get her checked out for any viruses.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've had a lucky too, similar situation as she escaped from being a feeder.

The main thing is to do a proper quarantine as far as possible. A separate airspace and changing top layers of clothing between her and your rats with ideally a shower too. Do this for 2 to 3 weeks before intros. She may not display any symptoms but still carry a virus but the major ones are only infectious for around 10 days to 2weeks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she's in a separate room across the house, thats as far as we can go. I'm hoping our vet can give a discount if i take her in for meds and then mention the other females i have and give us medication for them without the visit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.