Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I’m at a bit of a loss. Maybe forty or fifty minutes ago I thought 2/3 of my rats had a lump under their right foreleg. I was petting Barrat and thought I felt something weird, so I checked Jordan and Harris as well.

Harris seems fine, as always, but I thought I could see weird fat under Jordan’s armpit. I don’t think it was just chubbiness. I wasn’t able to get a good photo to show you all what I mean by fat, because when I picked Jordan up from the cage, he freaked and tried to to escape, so I eventually put him back in, where he mouth breathed of all things. Jordan’s been mouth-breathing recently, but I thought that was a respiratory problem and was giving them medicine to keep infection down. They haven’t had medicine in a couple days.
Pink Fawn Snout Rodent Mouse

Carnivore Fawn Dog breed Wood Tints and shades

I asked a relative to help me check on them, but she couldn’t pet or pick Jordan up, because he apparently tried to bite. He’s never bitten before. I’m not sure if I just scared him or if he’s acting unusually due to illness.

I don’t think I can afford to get a tumour or lump removed, but could I at least afford to get an answer on what it is? Would it do Jordan any good to have it diagnosed but not treated? He’s nearly two, since that’s relevant information, he’ll reach that age in around late November or early December.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi there.
I think it would be worth a vet visit to get a diagnosis and perhaps some advice about how to care for him ongoing.
A vet may not recommend surgery at his age anyway, but you might find it helpful to get advice about his new behaviours and when to tell that he is uncomfortable or in pain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there.
I think it would be worth a vet visit to get a diagnosis and perhaps some advice about how to care for him ongoing.
A vet may not recommend surgery at his age anyway, but you might find it helpful to get advice about his new behaviours and when to tell that he is uncomfortable or in pain.
Thanks for the advice ratbusters. Jordan actually calmed down some time after I posted this originally. I offered him a snack and he took it without trying to bite fingers, so I honestly think I just spooked him. Or maybe I pressed on the fat accidentally and it hurt him.

Either way, I’ll see what do what I can for him veterinary wise.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks for the advice ratbusters. Jordan actually calmed down some time after I posted this originally. I offered him a snack and he took it without trying to bite fingers, so I honestly think I just spooked him. Or maybe I pressed on the fat accidentally and it hurt him.

Either way, I’ll see what do what I can for him veterinary wise.
All the best with him, KefirRat.
We have a girl with a fatty lump in about the same spot too. Growing slowly but surely. One of the sad things about owning pet rats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts