Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our two girls has developed a lump a little larger than a pea on her chest, kind of right where her neck and abdomen meet. It's not in the right area for a mammary tumor. It seems like maybe it's been there for about a week. I think I've found a vet to take her to, but I have to travel out of town until beginning of next week. Is it ok to let this go until then? She seems to be in good spirits, is eating and playful.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had many female rats with mammary tumours and they aren't always where you'd expect them to be. It sounds as though the lump is fairly small at the moment, but in my experience they grow very quickly. It could also be an abscess where she has scratched herself while washing. Either way, I personally tend to get to the vet as soon as I can. If it's an abscess then antibiotics and draining can be used before the infection gets too deep seated. If it's a tumour, and your rattie is otherwise healthy then the smaller it is, the easier it is for the vet to remove (if that's what you want to do).

The strangest tumour one of my female rats ever had was on the side of her neck. When the vet removed it, he cut it open and found a lump within a cavity which was also surrounded by another lump. Very strange. Anyway, it never came back, and she went on to live for another 6 months (fairly long in rattie terms). She did look a bit funny after the operation though because to close the wound the vet had to pull the skin down on the side of her face, and her ear came low down like a Dumbo rat!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was going to call the Vet tomorrow to make an appointment for this, but the abscess burst last night and now there's just a big hole in her skin. We have no idea where any of the pus went (did she and Lilly eat it?), but the lump is entirely gone. We got some Hydrogen Peroxide, bactine, and neosporin and did the best we could to flush the hole out and put some bactine and neosporin on it but that little rat just does NOT like being on her back. :eek:

We also tried to put a butterfly strip on it to keep her from licking the neosporin out of it, but that was like trying to put pajamas on an Octopus!

Do we need to separate the girls until the hole starts to close up? Anything else we need to do?

Oh, one more thing.....if she's licking at the wound, should we be concerned? There's really not much we can do to stop it. There's some neosporin on it and I don't want to poison her!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
i prefer to flush out abscess cavities with saline solution myself. Its always been successful for me. Don't use neosporin, not because she'll lick it off (thats fine) but because it encourages healing. In this case you want the abscess cavity to heal from the inside out, not the outside in. If the skin heals over, it could trap some pus/matter inside and the abscess will recur.

I use a medicating syringe and flush out the hole 2-3 times a day.

Rats often clean out the nasty stuff themselves so don't worry about it...she's just doing whats natural.

The other rats should ignore her abscess, but if you see them paying too much "attention" to it, then you can remove her. They heal very fast...2-4 days depending on how big the hole is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lilspaz68 said:
i prefer to flush out abscess cavities with saline solution myself. Its always been successful for me. Don't use neosporin, not because she'll lick it off (thats fine) but because it encourages healing. In this case you want the abscess cavity to heal from the inside out, not the outside in. If the skin heals over, it could trap some pus/matter inside and the abscess will recur.

I use a medicating syringe and flush out the hole 2-3 times a day.

Rats often clean out the nasty stuff themselves so don't worry about it...she's just doing whats natural.

The other rats should ignore her abscess, but if you see them paying too much "attention" to it, then you can remove her. They heal very fast...2-4 days depending on how big the hole is.
Thanks for the quick reply lilspaz68. We used neosporin after reading the "abcess treatment outline" thread stickied at the top of this forum. I guess it's better not to?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You only use the neosporin when everythign is all flushed out.

once you are getting clean flushes put a bit of neosporin in the abscess pocket.

You can usually feel if there is any puss left in the pocket if you can't see it. I always do the flushes for at least seven days unless it is a small abscess and start to heal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts