Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my rats has a lump on her chest, i just noticed it today. she's not very friendly so i normally just open the cage door and let her roam around and leave her be(i tried to socialize her for a couple months straight, still slowly trying but not as persistant anymore). i laid down next to her cage a few minutes ago to talk to her a little bit(haha trying everything to get her used to me) and i noticed some scratches near her head/under her kneck and a lump on her chest...my guess is that its an abcess from an infection from the scratches? I hope. going to try to call the vets tomorrow and take off work to get her right to the vet, but at the latest saturday. anybody else thinking its just an abcess too? ;/ any reason why she would have such scratches? She gets the same diet as my other rats do (even my hairless never had scratching problems, except for her eye). i dont get it? i give em decent food...a mix from the store mixed with lab blocks, and a little bit of senior dog food here and there, some noodles, boiled chicken and eggs every now and then, and toast with olive oil to help with the coats. my other rats have nice coats. her nails arent too long either.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well...ruby has cancer ;/ shes getting tests done on the lump today and sent to the lab. then removal of the tumors. might have some sort of skin parasite too, have to give her low dosages of some cat shampoo from the vet to help with the itching. ;[

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm sooooo sorry to hear that:( I hope she gets better soon, keep us updated!

·
Registered
259 Posts
so sadd, i hope she gets better and has a speedy recovery. =] keep us updated with posts posts posts every step of the way. =]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do. they had to put her under anethsia to take a sample from her chest since shes a biter...do rats get really lethargic for the next couple days after being put under? she was quite hyper before, now shes just laying around. might be her getting used to the new cage? She was in a 4' long cage 2' high 2 foot wide. shes in one half the size now since i figured she would be more comfortable not having to walk so far for food and water from where she sleeps, wheel is also a couple feet closer now too. she seems healthy(besides the skin problem and the tumors), just really 'out of it'. not eating too much either. i give her yogies and she'll take a couple bites then wont finish them. i put food on the first level and water on the first level so she doesnt have to go up any ramps, still hasnt been eating too much. has anybody else ever noticed this from rats who have recently been under anesthia?

Should hear back from the vets in a couple days with a qoute for the spay/tumor removal. i know the spay is 350. not sure about the removal of the tumors.(hopefully its not too expensive, its going to get done no matter what, i just dont want to have to take too long saving it up to get it done! very worried).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ruby will be going to the vets in a week-2 weeks to get the spay/tumor removal done, the tumors are mammary tumors but are benign(not cancerous) but the tumors she has can still grow and tumors and still come back if not spayed. so hopefully she'll be good and healthy soon ;]

more bad news tho. took my cat into the vets today shes got problems breathing and tape worms ;/ over 2.5k in vet bill sfor the cat and 700 for the rat!! ;/

bleh. just hope they'll be okay. cat is in very bad shape... ;/

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's good that Ruby's tumors are benign.
Her biting also might have to do with being severely agitated about the skin condition. She'll probably settle down after the spay. Good luck with Ruby and your cat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts