Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
So just 5 minutes ago, I discoved a small grape sized lump on my rat's neck. I have them out every day but have not seen it before, making me believe that it has appeared rather quickly. It is covered with hair and feels kind of like a soft lump of fat. She doesn't squeak or seem in pain when I touch it other than the usual annoyance of being held and examined.
My two rats fight a bit sometimes - nothing overly serious, and mostly when they are eating - so I thought it might be some sort of infection from a small wound? I know rats have a tendency to tumours, especially females, I just find it odd that it appeared so fast.
I don't know what to do and am debating whether I should take her to the vet this week?
I would be very grateful for any advice or recommendations :confused:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds like what I discovered on one of my boys, I still have no idea what it was, but it just appeared one day and within a couple days it was gone. Same spot, too, right on his throat. I thought for sure it was a tumor and I was going to lose my boy, but it is gone and he hasn't had any issues since.
I'd say just keep an eye on it for the next couple days, and if it seems to get larger or begin causing discomfort, take your rat to the vet. My boy had a little bit of difficulty breathing when he had his lump, but nothing too bad, but like I said it completely disappeared. I inquired about it on the forum and people suggested it was probably a cyst.
Hoping that's all it is and it goes away!:)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's likely a swollen gland. You can give ibuprofen to reduce the swelling http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/ibuprofen.php. One of my boys had this and after a couple of doses of ibuprofen it was pretty much gone. Note that there are different doses there for analgesia and anti-inflammatory; you don't have to give the highest dose, but I'd recommend something in between.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts