Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed my 2 year old girl has a lump on her mammary glands. It looks fairly hefty, but isn't causing her any issues. Going to call the vets when they open later and book her in.

I'm not sure if it's an abscess or a tumour yet. Assuming it's a tumour, if it's cancerous it obviously has to come out, but if it's benign I'm wondering what to do about it. She's old, and surgery is risky for little animals anyway, so if it's not affecting her quality of life, would it be best to leave it instead of taking a gamble with surgery? She hates the vets anyway, I don't like the idea of her dying unexpectedly under the knife if it can be avoided.

Any sign of discomfort and pain she's obviously getting it removed, but if she's still fine, what would be best?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If it's just a standard mammary tumor, it probably isn't causing pain. It may be awkward and uncomfortable depending on the location and if it rubs against the ground or is in the way of her locomotion. Whether it's cancerous or not doesn't matter much, since I've never heard of rat chemo or radiation treatments, and at this point, it probably would have already spread. But it sounds like it's likely just a typical older female rat mammary tumor. It really depends on her as to if you think surgery is an option. Some rats are old at 2 years old, and some are still "young" and vibrant at 2. As long as she seems healthy and the vet thinks her heart and lungs sound good, she would probably do fine to have the very quick surgery to remove the tumor, assuming your vet is experienced with those surgeries. If you don't want to put her through surgery, you can try home remedies that sometimes help slow the growth of a tumor. Turkey tail mushroom ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017OB03E/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1440840026&sr=1&keywords=turkey+tail ), wheatgrass powder, flax oil, and high lycopene treats like tomatoes or apricots (or just a supplement) are supposedly good at fighting growth, with the turkey tail mushroom maybe being the best, but it can be combined with these others as a daily treatment. #1 thing though is avoid all sugary treats or foods that turn into sugars in the body. Sugars feed tumor growth very quickly. But the sooner you remove it the better, since it will only get larger and she will only get older. But if it doesn't seem to bother her, try the supplements instead and see if that slows it down. I hope she will be ok!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts