Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marley has a small bump thing under his right arm, it's about the size of my pinkie nail (so like, a bit smaller than a dime). It doesn't seem to hurt him. He had a burst abcess a few weeks ago, by his genitals, and it healed up alright and there's no lump there. This doesn't feel like it's a part of the skin, it's something underneath I think. What else could it be? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If it seems attached to the body and not the skin, it may well be a tumor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to feel it again and he won't sit still. I can't exactly tell. He's about a year and a half old, is that a typical age where males start developing tumors?

If it isn't a tumor, are there any other possibilities I should be aware of?

And there's no way to know if it's malignant unless we go to the vet, I'm sure?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yeah, rats can get tumors at year and half. Try and keep an eye on it to see if it grows in size. The vet would be the only way to treat it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I know we've been talking in PM but I figured I'd note that it could be an abcess or a cyst. The only way to tell if it is an abcess is if a scab or a "head" forms on it like a zit. In that case, it can carefully be cared for at home. There is a sticky thread for that.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
For it to be an abcess, it would be a skin issue. And Relken said it is not part of the skin.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as an update, and my own future records, since posting the lump has not gone away but also has not gotten bigger or moved around anywhere. I've also had the opportunity a few times to prod and gently pinch at it and I do think it might be part of the skin. I can get my fingers underneath it and hold just it and the skin, but it it were an abcess I feel it would have burst by now? It doesn't seem to cause him any pain, either, so there's that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm actually curious about this, too. I found a small lump under Algae's armpit, about a week or two ago, and it sounds similar to yours. Algae's lump mightve actually shrunk a bit in size. From what I've read online, even if it's an abscess, I heard that if it's absorbed into the body or if it pops internally instead of externally, it can be dangerous to the rat.. Dawson got an abscess near his groin after his neuter and that popped and healed pretty quickly. Trip to vet keeps getting pushed back as I'm getting more hours at work. Keep us posted, though, and I'll try to do the same :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts