Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG man I took Luna to the vet today. I went yesterday got all the way there and it was the wrong day! xD So anyways I took her today this place was weird but it's the only place in my area that I know of that treats small animals. Everyone there was really nice but the actually vet was a little screwy. He seemed kind of rough with her. She actually almost bit him good a few times. She has never tried to bite anyone. He even grabed her by the tail once. Im like this guy is a joke. But then I thought about it. She was given him ****. I don't think there was a sweet way to do what he had to do. Especially when it came time for the injection. Upon examining her we found tons of scabs!! He said they looked self inflicted and she scratches a lot. So he came to the conclusion there is a chance she has mites. Which I was guessing anyway but was really hoping it wouldn't be. So He injected her with some meds. But to do this was such an awful process. Because of course she wasn't just going to sit there and take it. She was scared and a lil mad already so she put up quite a fight. I am not to happy about how he had to do it. Basically shoved her face in a cup with air holes but he had to push her in and hold her roughly cause man she is way stronger than we thought hahah never thought so much power could come from one little body. she got away once but he got her the second try. Sheesh im like is this guy for real. when he left I quietly told my bf I don't think I will come here again. But then two nurses came in to clip the nails. They were such great ladies they knew how to treat Luna they talked to her and tried to calm her down while rubbing her belly. they held her on her back and trimmed the nails. Luna squirmed a bit but never tried to bite. Goes to show if you don't roughly grab and manhandle they wont bite! sheesh. Anyways so now I am supposed to find different bedding for just in case. He recommended news paper. But I thought I heard it could make rats sick. Is that true? well he said news paper or cloth. What do you guys recommend I use? and how long do you think I should wait before introducing her to Lilly? She had a week left of quarantine but now I need to wait because I dont want anything happening to Lilly. See I still have all these questions because The vet came and went s quick I didn't really have much time to ask him. The helpful nurses are the only reason I would go back.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
the reason he wants you to use a different bedding is because it is possible the bedding has mites in it... I'm thinking it is more likely this girl already had the mites when you got her since she is new to you (is that correct?) There have been cases where people have purchased bedding that had mites in it but I rarely hear of it actually happening. The one way to be sure that you have no mites is to freeze it first in order to kill mites if in fact there were mites in it to begin with.

you could use newspaper but you will need to change it often because it won't absorb urine or oder & if it gets to wet... it turns to mush. VERY YUCKY! I highly doubt the print will make her sick... she would have to eat a great deal of it to get sick. Many of us use a hand full or so of newsprint with the rats. I know I do & I've had rats for over 35 years. I guarantee the inks they used back then were far more toxic than what is used today. The worst thing that might happen is that they get black ink on their feet or tails... those tails seem to pick up everything!

You will need to thoroughly clean the cage & the surrounding area & any carpeted or fabric areas where she frequented. You have other rats. PLEASE do not intro them nor allow them near each other if you have not already done so. But if they have played in the same areas outside of the cage the other rat may have already come in contact with mites. They may need to be checked for mites as well because those things spread to the entire colony.

One last thing... you are paying for that office visit... by gosh you have someone listen/answer your questions... don't let them rush you. You have paid for a service & it is their job to make sure you are clear on any questions you may have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear how your visit with the vet went! :( How many years of experience did this guy have with treating small animals like rats, mice, etc? I'm really surprised that he didn't emphasize to you how contagious this is to your other rats, and what you need to do to prevent them from getting it. I think I would look around for another small animal/exotics vet even if it means a bit more of a drive.

Did he tell you what he gave as an injection to treat the mites? I'm guessing that it was ivermectin.

If you still have questions, I would call the clinic back and have someone talk to you on the phone to fully explain everything to you. :)

Deb

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know I canned $78.50 for that visit. Luckily I have done my own research before. So I know how contagious it can be. Plus it's just kind of common sense. I have never had the two near each other. She is new to me. Well I have had her about two weeks now. And She had some scabs when I got her. I just didnt notice how many until the Doc lifted her and I can seem them everywhere the poor thing. But she seems to be doing real well after that visit. She is still eating a lot drinking water grooming. She even took a liking to my best friend. Ended up falling asleep on her hahah so cute! But yeah the good news is I know of another vet even closer. It's the one I take my cats and dog to. I had no idea he looked at small animals or I would have taken Luna there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i hate it when people are like that..
newspaper can be toxic to rats. i wouldn't use that. use towels. they could rip cloths and choke, trust me, friends have had this situation before !! you will have to start freezing whichever shop-bought bedding you are using. what are you using ? carefresh is the worst for mite-eggs. *shudders*

·
Registered
50 Posts
This guy obviously doesn't care for rats very much, and if he does, he is doing it wrong. You never pick a rat up by its tail, it is unnecessary and cruel. I think I'd find a new vet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
she did say she was going to. :)
also yes picking a rat up by its tail could injure it, yes? :?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahah thats Why I was surprised he did it. Being a vet he should know better. It could injure them it could injure any animal really. Except those lizards that can detach. haha gross. But yeah Man this sucks Now I have to wait who knows how much longer to do introductions. If I even ever can at all now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well technically you can pick them up by their tail by holding at the base of it but you shouldn't hold them that way for very long. That's a method used for rats that aren't very nice. But most of the time, you can just scoop up a rat to hold it. If you hold the tail at the middle or end of it, you risk the possibility of fracturing it or causing "degloving" where the skin slides off.

Deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts