Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys have a new, huge, scalable cage, and it cost me just under $100 before taxes.

I went to Lowes and bought a 36"x24" cement mixing pan (also useful for toting firewood, plants, etc. that was $15.

Went to Home Depot for wire shelving. Two 16"x8' @22 each, and one 12"x8'.

The top is two 3' sections of 12", upside down, where the hanging down parts meet in the middle. I made the front section opens for easy cleaning. I'm still trying to figure out a way to latch it. Laying it upside down also provides strength across the length to hang things from.

I used leftover shelving to make a second level and covered it with cardboard until I can pick up some plexi from the surplus store. I also made a ladder, but it's temporary until I pick up some wood so it's easier on their feet.

Whole thing took about 3.5 goes to cut and assemble everything with zip ties. I may grab my dad's leftover suspended ceiling wire and tie everything together with that if they chew through the ties.

Btw, I bought the shelving from Home Depot because theirs is painted (I assume powder coat). The stuff from Lowes and Rona are vinyl coated. I have a piece of that I used to test if they would fit through, and both went nuts chewing on it.

I think it turned out well, and they seem to be enjoying it immensely.

Cage Animal shelter Dog crate Pet supply Metal Cage Pet supply Animal shelter Dog crate Cage Animal shelter Pet supply

1 - 1 of 1 Posts