Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got a new rat on a whim. I have only had one hamster before this soo I have some questions. He is a 5 month old male Fancy Blue Rat. he is very nervous, but he lets me pet him. i can pick him up, but sometimes he squeaks at me when i try to pick him up. when he does this, it sort of scares me so i don't pick him up.
i read on some site online that this is a sign of agression and that it is recommended to get him castrated. is this necessary? and is this a warning that he might bite me?
also, i have been reading that it is better to have two rats than one. two males can be together right?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes, you REALLY need to get another rat- rats are social animals, and they can get very depressed if they don't have another rat around. I don't know a whole lot about males, so I don't want to give you bad advice about him- maybe just hold off on getting him fixed for a while. I would imagine that he would calm down once he gets to know you. Just make sure that you handle him at least 20 minutes a day (20 minutes is about how long it takes their fear of humans to subside).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after looking at a bunch of sites and talking to a bunch of people, i think i might go back to the pet store and the get the rat he was caged with when i got him.

·
Registered
443 Posts
He sounds scared rather than aggressive, I would guess he just hasn’t been handled much. I don’t think neutering is needed, just lots more socialization. Do you know how old he is? How long have you had him.

Rats definitely need the companionship of other rats. He will probably feel much more secure if you get him a friend. Males can live together quite harmoniously, but if you are worried you can neuter him and get him a female friend. Just be sure to read up on quarantine and proper introductions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have only had him for a couple of days. he's about five months old.
i am probably going to get him the friend that was already in the cage with him at the store. they are the same kind of rat, so probably from the same litter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That’s great you’re getting him a friend! A littermate would be perfect.

My youngest girl, Saki, wasn’t socialized when I got her either. It took well over a month before she was really comfortable being handled. I think your little guy will come around, he just needs time. :wink:

·
Registered
418 Posts
His squeaking when you pick him up is not aggression, it's just fear (for all he knows you're going to pick him up and eat him!). When I first got my girl she did that and now I never hear a peep out of her unless she's bruxing! Good luck with your boy, it will just take time! (and yes, a friend will help greatly!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts