Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in my other post (the rat health section, wondering about ear infections) I have a male rat named Aspen who lives alone. I have to be away for a lot of the day so I was thinking about making some toys. He already has chew toys (which he doesn't like much!) and some times I'll make origami treat containers (which he loves, although they don't take him too long!). I was ideally thinking some sort of like mesh box/bag that he could tug treats out of? Maybe hung high so he'd have to stand on his igloo/climb a ladder to get to it?

Has anyone made something like this for their rats? A button-press system where if he press a button or pulled something or whatever he could get a treat would also work if anyone knows how to make something like that?

Of course, I could always go buy something if you have any suggestions, but I prefer DIY things-by DIY I mean do it with a rat on your lap or shoulder! ;)

Thanks for reading this. I appreciate your suggestions!

·
Registered
581 Posts
You could do a sort of "rope pull" toy in which treats are set inside a rolled up paper container and sealed shut with a bow tie. When he pulls and undoes the bow tie, the treats fall out. :3 My rats also enjoy simply pulling things from the top of the cage inside. XD I give them fleece scraps to play with and some times I put them through the bars on the top and let them pull them in on their own. I've also hung cheerios from strings from the top of the cage, which they enjoyed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could do a sort of "rope pull" toy in which treats are set inside a rolled up paper container and sealed shut with a bow tie. When he pulls and undoes the bow tie, the treats fall out. :3 My rats also enjoy simply pulling things from the top of the cage inside. XD I give them fleece scraps to play with and some times I put them through the bars on the top and let them pull them in on their own. I've also hung cheerios from strings from the top of the cage, which they enjoyed.
So, for the rope toy, do you tie a bow around the paper container?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be great! Do you know if paracord is safe for rats? I can't find any answers online, and I don't want to give my little buddy anything in a toy that could hurt him. It's basically just nylon strands, but is that safe?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I'd also like to say that I found another treat dispenser too. I finger wove fabric into a hemisphere, popped treats inside, and closed it up. I tied it onto the top of his cage, just low enough so he's able to reach it if he sort of sits back on his hind legs-he doesn't have to stand fully. It was a big hit with him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts