Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making amoxicillin capsules into liquid form. What can I mix it with to add a good flavor to it? Also if I am mixing 30ml of water what portion of that should I use the flavoring so that they taste it enough but not too much? Would using 25ml water and 5ml flavor be enough?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You want something thicker than water to make a good suspension. Whilst I tend to just divide up the capsuals (or crushed tablets in my case) into the right proportion I know some people who swear by coffee syrups.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My vet uses kool-aid but I use strawberry syrup, the stuff for flavored milk. I've also heard of using coffee creamer or applesauce. My boys take things well from syringes but if yours do not I've heard people suggest applesauce and baby food.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh duh, I only answered one question. For my ratio info (and mixing information) I use Rat Health Cafe by Debbie Ducommun as a guide. I always double check with veterinarian websites for dosages and safety issues (and I keep a personal notebook about what I've given, how much I've given, when it was dispensed, the effectiveness and anything else I feel is important atm). Long story short the book says 70? flavoring in your suspension.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you would use the strawberry syrup for the whole amount of the liquid? Cuz I used 15ml of liquid. I did it 10ml water and 5ml strawberry syrup. But it seems like the powder settles right away at the bottom after you shake it so I am wondering if they got the medication in the syringe or not.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I got a 3-pack of flavored syrup off Amazon for mixing my meds. It came with Cherry, Grape, and Raspberry. It's funny- a couple of the girls prefer Cherry while the other two prefer Grape. So I'll sometimes mix up two bottles in different flavors. Oh and I also bought the small glass medicine bottles on Amazon too. I also use Debbie Duccumon's calculations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts