Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i want ot say: I dont have rats yet, and have only owned females in the past so forgive me if this is a "dumb" question.

I know with some animals, they should be kept in pairs or groups of 4+. My question is.... If i were to get three males instead of two, would the least dominate male be beat up and made miserable by the other two? Is it best to get 2 or more than three or is it ok to have a trio?

I dont want anyone to be hurt or left out, thanks for any input :D
Amber

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They'll make their own groups, but of my six none are beaten up or hurt, aside from the occasional scratches from their play-scuffles. It's not uncommon to find them in the hammock in groups of four or so... I have one that's a loner by choice, but he's somewhere in the middle, dominance-wise, so he's not being shoved out, it's his own choice.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's a good way to go about it. Just remember when you add a rat it should be quarentined for about three weeks to make sure it's not ill (search quarentine and you can find how this is done) and carefully intro'd to the old rats over a period of time to make sure they get along (again, you can search for how this is to be done... or ask when the time comes. :) )

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep yep yep, I have been reading everything on this site! I dont think I have ever read this much in 3 days before lol

I see you have some very handsome boys! My mom is worried about the smell that boys have, is it really noticable or is it a faint musky-ish smell? How often do you do thourough cage cleanings? Thanks, you have been very helpful

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Depends on the boys. Having them litterbox trained really cuts down on the smell. I spot clean daily, change the towels every third day or so and scrub the cage out once a week. I have a couple boys that sleep in the litter box, thus making themselves stinky-poo. But the rest smell nice, they keep themselves very clean.

You might consider unscented babywipes and wipe the rats down when they come out (also works to clean their tails, which some rats neglect).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Thanks.....
by the way, i think i have found my boys :D

They are Black capped and Verigated...and Dumbo's too (happy dance)...

Pic of my boys

When i had my last female, i had to wash her tail for her lol, a soft toothbrush and baby soap :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts