Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 rats and when my mum and dad bought them from the pet shop they were told they were both girls, my rats are only about 9-10 week and i heard they have periods every 5 days, they havent had one yet, recently they have been starting to smell and there both constiantly fighting. could they be boys as i heard this is mostly what boys do? how can you tell the difference between male and female?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Male have a noticable "bulge" (male parts) on their rear ends. I think they would have growin them by now, if they're male. Female can have larger nipples too.
Umm but.. Girl rats don't have periods. They show signs of being in heat by pausing and wiggling their ears a bit(not very noticable tho, imo) Maybe another sign, I forget tho. That usually happens every 4-5 days, like a cycle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would the nipples be down there belly? all i can see is like a tiny lump between their legs,lol,its only little, about 3mm.

·
Registered
997 Posts
They're probably just adolescent does having a few arguments.

Females NEVER bleed normally from their lady parts, if they do, rush them to a vet.

But to tell if a female is in heat, I usually can just grab their rumps and qucikly let go, and after a few times doing that she will freeze and her ears will vibrate rapidly. If you grab her rump then, she will stretch out and possibly give a short squeak.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like there challanging for alpha. I have 2 cages of girls. 1 cage is babies one is 4 months old and the others 2 weeks younger, maybe 3. They have started challanging each other and a few sqaubbles break out. Also kittens and young ones play fight alot which an at times look pretty rough lol.

My other cage now has 2 girls in as I lost one today :( One girl the youngest at 5-6 months and daughter to other is always frisky and dominating her mum, I find her more so in free range where she mounts her alot lol.

Here is how to tell the sexes, lots of pictures and you will know if there males.

http://www.ratz.co.uk/sexingrats.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts