Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very proud new owner of two baby boy hairless rats, however, I'm starting to question the skills of the pet shop employee as one of my boys has huge testicles and the other doesn't appear to have much there at all.

Luckily, Jasper (the girl/boy in question) has been very co-operative and I have managed to take quite a high res picture of his/her bits. Can you help me sex him/her, I'm new to rats so help is needed!!

Please click here if the image does not load or to see it in full size!. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, those are nipples. And no testes in sight. That is definitely a girl. Separate them right away, and pray to god she isn't already pregnant!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I believe you have a little girl there... The nipples scream girl lol. I can sort of see how the spacing might get confusing but in this pic. She aprears to be a girl.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1804&articleid=2584

Your female isn't as close as this female but it's also a mouse lol. SO I can see why it might be confusing.

EDIT: Yep boys don't have nipples :p, it also says that in the link above :D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure its not possible that its a boy? Human men have nipples surely!? I am devastated I've grown so attached, I posted the same question on Yahoo answers and someone has said they think its a boy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Unfortunately that is not a human, it is a rat.

I am 100% positive that male rats do not have nipples. Trust me. That is a GIRL.

If they are over 7 weeks of age, chances are she is a pregnant girl.

Also -- if you can see the testicles clearly on your other male, you know what they look like... I'm not sure how you can be confused. :?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are only just 7 weeks, I'm going to have to take her back I guess, I can't believe this, stupid idiot pet stores, I'm so upset

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chances are good she may be having babies in 3 weeks then.

I personally would not get another rat from that pet store, even if you take her back, you do not want to support what they are doing.

Is there a more responsible pet store, or rescue in your area?

·
Registered
928 Posts
u dont HAVE to take her back, just keep ur rats seprate until u can get the male rat to the vets and get him chopped then u can keep both the rats

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely that will be expensive? I dont know of another pet store near me, I live quite far away from everything. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can call and ask how much a neuter is. I have two neutered males living with my females.

Any which way you need to separate them at this very moment, if you haven't already!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant separate them I dont have anywhere to put the other, this is such a tradegy, I am so angry/upset, I think I will go back to the pet store and exchange for a male, they can deal with the female if she is pregnant, I shouldn't have to, I know that sounds cruel but its thier fault I should have to take responsibility

·
Registered
655 Posts
calm down, it might not be as bad as you think. If you have time to be around for the birth and spare cash in case she needs the vet you can keep her and then find homes for the babies or maybe give them back to the shop. I would start looking into pregnancy, birth and motherhood before you decide you cant cope. Want kind of cage/cages do you have? Can they be divided? Can you find a cheep cage or something? try gumtree.com. possibly the shop might foot the bill because it was there mistake. I was in £strecher today there were massive plastic tubs for £7 you could cover the top with mini chicken wire to make a labor suite. Stay calm she dosent look like shes going to pop tonight :)

Also yuou might want to concider giving her to a rescue depending on what shop you got her from I have heard some horrible stories about shops with holding health care-£?? c-section for £5 rat? I dont know :(

·
Registered
814 Posts
I understand how your feeling, If you don't end up trading her in you can always surrender the babies to a rescue? maybe you could find a rescue near you and surrder her to them? Rescues are a great place and they might even have a little boy you can adopt?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i really like what lady is saying. a rubbermaid tub with a well-ventilated top will be fine for the momma and her babies, and you can keep them there until they are 5 weeks old, and then either adopt them out or take them to a rescue. taking them back to the petstore can be a very bad idea, especially if they can't sex them; you don't want the babies to all end up in the same cage at an older age and then make babies with eachother! if the pregnancy goes well and the birth goes well, it should not cost you much else to take care of a litter of rats, and everyone here will be here to help with info!

the rubbermaid tub and a lid will be like $10 and you can just cut plenty of holes in it, or you can do as lady says and cover the top with hardware cloth or something similar. once momma has had her babies, see if you can adopt her out as well. it would be better if you maybe took her to a shelter instead of taking her to the petstore; maybe you can tell the petstore she died or something so you can get the male, but don't take her back to the petstore if you don't have to. :( that sounded a lot worse than i meant for it to. i agree that they owe you a male, but see if there is a way you can get one without taking the female back, i think is what i meant, ha ha.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts