Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I will be a first time rat owner soon.

1. Do you prefer male or female rats?

2. What are your reasons and why?

3. What do you think is better for a beginner rat keeper?

Thanks, and have a good day!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I personally prefer female rats, the difference between them are that females tend to be more active, engaging with you, and smaller. The boys are calmer, less active, and bigger, the problem with boys are that as they get older they get into more intense fights which can be worrying. For a beginner rat I would recommend boys since they are so much calmer in my experience. Both are great and as long as you spend time and patience on them you will end up with rats who will love you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello! I will be a first time rat owner soon.

1. Do you prefer male or female rats?

2. What are your reasons and why?

3. What do you think is better for a beginner rat keeper?

Thanks, and have a good day!
I prefer male rats because they are much calmer/lazier and are fine with laying on your shoulder or lap while your watching tv or reading a book whereas female rats tend to be more adventurous and energetic.I do think male rats are better for first time rat owners because of their laidback and calm personality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have all boys, females are too much energy for me. The boys like naps and treats and cuddles, especially once they start getting older. There is the "I must pee on everything" aspect but it is but a small price to pay for snuggles.

As for what's best for a beginner? That's kind of your pick. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts