Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i really need some help, i'm going to get some rats at the weekend but i really don't know if i want 2 males or 2 females.

I was swaying towards having 2 males because i've heard there more laid back and enjoy cuddles more and they enjoy walking around on your shoulder but i have also heard they can get aggresive and mark their territory a lot.

So then i thought i could get 2 girls but i heaqrd they are more hyper and don't sit still very long for cuddles and things.

so i'm a bit lost on which se to choose.

any advice? :?:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have two adorable little boys. Of course, it all depends on their personality... Both of my boys are kinda lazy, but one likes cuddles and ones would rather explore. I have heard of males getting agressive, but I have only read about it online.. I have never heard of it actually happenning to someone. And boys don't mark their territory that much. As long as you litter train them, you will probably be fine.

·
Registered
899 Posts
As a general rule..Males are more cuddle bugs , and lap dogs. They also grow larger than the females. They will scent mark. But as long as they are litter trained you hardly notice it. Infact with my first two boys. I enver litter trained and they did scent mark...But it doesnt really smell..As for aggression..like ari said i have only heard of it online. But along with that there are ways of dealing with it.

Females..oh the girls.. lol They are hyper , curiose..mad little things. They much prefer running around and exploring. But in my experience ((all 7 girls ive had)) After 15 minuts running round they all just wanted a cuddle from mum. My latest girl although very intruiged by her surroundings..Is also very much a mamas girl.

All in all - Males = CuddleBugs Females = Histerical Explorers

But you have to remember they all have different personalitys. Ive had boys that are hyper and cuddlebug girls

I have probably just completly confused you !!

But this is just my experience.

If you really want fun...You could get a male and a female.. ((spayed and neutered respectivly..)) lol

Anyway enough of me rambling and confusing all known facts to ratdom.

Take care...Good luck !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou, thats helped a bit. oh i can't wait to get mine i'm so excited like a kid at christmas.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just to add to your confusion... some males act like females and some females act like males... :lol:

I went with boys since my first were from a pet store and I didn't want opps babies... and so I've only kept boys since. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
One word (well, with a hyphen)- Man-Bits.
I went with girls mostly because I find their hind ends more sightly. Also because they're smaller, and don't get buck grease. One of mine is a crazy psycho explorer, one likes to explore ME, and the third loves her skritches and sits still for forever for me to cuddle her.
They're all so different, but you could try and go for the "typical" of either sex, but be prepared for the inevitable variation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In my experience, my boys are very cuddly, and rather lazy. They seem to be able to just sit with me on the sofa during movies.

I haven't had many girls, but each one of them was very hyper ..

But like BeanieBoo-Rattles said, they could be the complete oppisite.

I guess you should just choose the personality you would prefer :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts