Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi well i am looking forward to getting some rats. I know im going to get 2 But i dont know whether to get 2 girls or 2 boys. What are their characteristic? Will males fight? Whats the size difference? And behavior etc.

Thanks, Austin

·
Registered
520 Posts
AustinXAPMX3 said:
I know im going to get 2
Good start!

AustinXAPMX3 said:
What are their characteristic?
Well ...

AustinXAPMX3 said:
Will males fight?
In my experience, my more dominant rats have been female, but either gender should be fine assuming that they are properly introduced and they are in an adequate cage.

AustinXAPMX3 said:
Whats the size difference?
Females tend to be smaller than males, but that is just a generalization ...

AustinXAPMX3 said:
And behavior etc.
Generally, I have heard that males are more docile and females are more energetic and my rats have exemplified that. My girls are much more curious than Barry ... but I think it depends on the rats. Just like people, they all have different personalities. :D

If it were me, I would meet the rats, spend time getting to know them, and let them choose you. :lol:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Males are bigger and fatter. They are more calm and cuddley.

Females are balls of energy, fun and playful.

I have females. I love them dearly, but i wish i had a male to cuddle with.

Some rescues have nuetered males, so you can maybe get a nuetered male nad female! best of both.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think il get females beause i like them energetic. But i dont know ive never had males before

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I got girls cause they stay smaller, and don't have the danglies. It's fun to watch them scurry around, although one of my girls is a total sweetheart and will sit there and let me pet her as long as I can go on. The other just won't stay still long enough for that kind of attention.

·
Registered
48 Posts
females also tend to be a tad less smellier than boys but all in all rats arnt really (especially not compared to mice) smelly rodents.

if you want a big ball of fluff and cuddles get a boy

if you want a little ball of energy and play get girls

and good on you for getting two its the only way rats should come! :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Females are certainly energetic... they are smart too... so watch out. They are so much harder to keep track of during out time, even if you have gone through the effort to rat-proof things.

They will find every way possible to get up onto and out of whatever they are in/on/near.

You cannot let them leave your sight it seems. I would say, choose depending on your ability to keep an eye on them. Seriously. You have to be on your toes with females. I will give an example: One of ours would hop from the couch to me and then to my desk, but I turned my head for two seconds, and one of my expensive bookshelf speakers was destroyed by little rat teeth (she tore the foam off one of the woofers), but I did not know immediately because when I turned back around, she was enjoying the warmth of my computer monitor and acting like nothing was wrong.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
yashu said:
Females are certainly energetic... they are smart too... so watch out. They are so much harder to keep track of during out time, even if you have gone through the effort to rat-proof things.

They will find every way possible to get up onto and out of whatever they are in/on/near.

You cannot let them leave your sight it seems. I would say, choose depending on your ability to keep an eye on them. Seriously. You have to be on your toes with females. I will give an example: One of ours would hop from the couch to me and then to my desk, but I turned my head for two seconds, and one of my expensive bookshelf speakers was destroyed by little rat teeth (she tore the foam off one of the woofers), but I did not know immediately because when I turned back around, she was enjoying the warmth of my computer monitor and acting like nothing was wrong.

I totally agree, the girls will go poof on you & because of this train them to respond to sound for a treat reward. I do this with my girls because they will disappear when out running around. I have all of their foods inside plastic containers. Whenever I feed them, I give the containers a shake. Whenever I offer treats, I shake one of the containers. They know that sound means food. So when they are out I don't offer treats until it is time to go into the cage. Two of my girls are food hoarders, they will stash every scrap of food inside of the box I have set as their bed area. SO I just give them a treat & they will run back to the cage on their own, I just have to shut the door before they dash out for another treat. The other two come running when they hear me shake the container of food. Often they will run straight up my pants leg & sit on my shoulder.

Start with the sounds, whatever sound you want to use, I also call out their names, just make sure you do it every time you plan to feed them or offer a treat & they will be easy to locate.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I currently have both males and females {{{long story}}} but my boys are neutered, and they all live together. I agree with sparker that characteristics of the sexes tend to be more generalizations. It really does hunker down to the individual rat but I will say this.

My males and females are equally playful. My girls ALWAYS want to come out and explore, and my boys like to stay closer to home. I have boys and girls who are snuggly. In fact my most cuddly rattie is my hairless girl.

The one thing that seems to be more true of males (although there is always the exception to the rule) is that males tend to be bigger. I have a few females who are bigger than my smallest girls but they can't compare to the honkin lumps of meat that my boys are lol.

It's a hard decision because both sexes are so much fun :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some people have a problem with certain parts of the male anatomy and they can be a wee bit smellier. Girls, though, are very prone to tumours. 4 out of 7 girls I've had have gotten them. :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts