Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They've never really been out together, because I feared that the dad might try to beat them up or something or attack them. Now I have one boy left from my unfortunate accidental litter and I was wondering if I could put them in together and he'll just know it's his son or something and they'll get along just fine? Or do I have to do all the precautions and clean out the cage with a little bit of bleach so his scent isn't in there and he gets territorial. And the taking them out together all the time before I throw him in there. Because the son still lives at my boyfriends house but I want him to be a cagemate for my Ben.

I probably sound ridiculous saying "Will he just know it's his son?" But when my girl Belle was giving birth we showed Ben the aquarium and said "Look those are your babies." while she was still having them and he freaked out and jumped on the cage trying to get in there and then hid under a bunch of clothes and was just antisocial the rest of the night. My boyfriend said it's because he wanted to be with his kids. lol. But I think maybe it's because she was about to go into heat since they do that right after birth. Idk. What do you all think on that one. Did he really just want to be with his kids? I heard they're great fathers. But the risk of having him in there and her getting re pregnant wasn't worth it to me.
Sorry my post is so long.

Thanks everybody! =]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you're going to have to go through the whole introduction process. to ben, his son is just another rat intruding on his territory. however, the younger the son is, the more likely it is that ben will accept him. you'll still have to keep an eye on them though.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I agree... intros of babies or young rats to the older rats seem to go much more smoothly than introducing two adults

be sure to watch them carefully & put something in the cage that is small enough for the little one to duck into if the need arises

1 - 3 of 3 Posts