Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I got a male rat a little more than a month ago, and I have noticed orangish spots on his skin. The spots don't move. I have read that male rats have "buck grease", is that what this is?

On a side note, when I've been petting him for a bit, it leaves a kind of invisible residue on my hands. What's up with that? :unsure:

·
Registered
15 Posts
It probably is buck grease, I have some males and they also can turn a bit orange sometimes. Don't worry about it, really. It's all completely normal. Just watch for itching, as that could lead to a more severe problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, fleas in rats aren't too common but it could still happen. If your rat continues to scratch vigorously and scab appear on his body, it could likely be fleas. Just watch for small black dots on his skin which could be fleas or there poop. Also watch for fleas in his cage/bedding. If you find any, you should probably try to either take him to a vet and the vet will tell you what medicine would be best for your rat, or a common one I have heard about is Advantage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts