Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely chubby hooded male, Shizuka, keeps pooping on me when he's held!This happens so frequently (along with urination that is much more than just scent marking) that I have to keep a towel on me at all times when I hold him.I do not believe this is fear, or lack of trust. Shizuka, along with his no-problem brother were gotten under a month old and where both immersed on day one. Shizuka even shows very affectionate behaviors, such as grooming my hand, comfortable eye boggling and bruxing, as well as sleeping on me.This new behavior has just shown up in the past two month, and it happens almost every time I hold him!What do I do and why is he doing this?

Edit-I've had these two since November.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You might get a vet check to make sure there are no health issues. You could also try to have a litter box nearby when you have them out of the cage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might get a vet check to make sure there are no health issues. You could also try to have a litter box nearby when you have them out of the cage.
I'll try both of those things, though I can't take him to the vet until we get back from our vacation (leaving tomorrow. He has a sitter though)What kind of health issue do you think would cause him to suddenly start doing this? The poo doesn't seem out of the norm in anyway (hoping that rules out wet tail) I'm getting pretty worried about the little guy

·
Registered
581 Posts
From what I understand, rats can't get wet tail...? It seems widely debated but I've never heard of cases of wet tail and rats. but they can get diarrhea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I understand, rats can't get wet tail...? It seems widely debated but I've never heard of cases of wet tail and rats. but they can get diarrhea.
I wasn't exactly sure if they could get it or not.How long does diarrhea last for?

·
Registered
581 Posts
It depends... Diarrhea could be caused by many factors. It could be from an overflow of watery foods, from some sort of illness, or from changes in diet. Probably more things than that. I would suggest taking him to the vet. Especially since this seems to be unusual behavior. I know you can't for a while, but I would go ahead and schedule one for right after your trip ends. Watch your boy very carefully until the vet appointment and look for more symptoms. Sorry I can't be of more help. :I Maybe another member on here knows more?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally back but mom says we can't schedule an appoiment until she gets paid next week...I'm starting to get really worried. Not only has this behaviour continued, he has started to scratch himself to the point where he is creating wounds on himself. When I got back last night I felt something in his fur.It was a scab. I kept looking and found more and more scabs, only around his head and neck.I didn't find any fleas or other signs that it could be mites, as parasites wouldn't only stick to one area, would they?Again, the cagemate shows none of these problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts