Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time rat owner. I got two baby male rats a little over a week ago. Their testicles are noticeably larger than they were a week ago. I can’t help but notice that one of my boys has only one testicle. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a health concern? And, should I take him to the vet? I am concerned that a vet visit could be very expensive. I don’t want to spend a ton of money to find out that he is okay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With baby rats they can grow a lot and I don't think that your rat only having one testicle will be a problem as long as it doesn't look infected. If you have insurance a vet visit can cost 10 - 20 bucks. Some vets even give you your first visit free. If you don't have the money to take your rat to one vet visit then you probably shouldn't be owning rats. They can get expensive over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. He looks to be in good health otherwise. Good color and energetic demeanor. I just wanted to ask more experienced rat owners to see if I should be concerned because his testicles do visually look different than his brother’s. Just that he has one and his brother has two. If this is something that is fairly common and to simply monitor while a baby than I don’t want to take them to a vet to find that out. It is not that I cannot afford it. I just simply do not want to over react and then end up wasting money every single time I become concerned over a normal thing. We are also trying to find a quality vet in my area and the online reviews can be deterring. My dog’s vet does not see exotic animals so I am currently in the market.

·
Registered
354 Posts
He is probably just a late bloomer. is he coughing or sneezing? Any signs of diarrhea or soft stool? If not then your fine. What state are you located in. I have a list of exotic vets for PA, NJ, the five burroughs of NY, and DE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is not coughing or sneezing. His bowel seems normal. He is playful with his brother and interacts with us pretty well.
We are in Maryland. I found the Chadwell animal hospital. It’s about 45 for a well visit. I’m not sure if that is average for a pet rat. I’m thinking I’ll try them though because the reviews are pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts