Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to buy 2 male rats. I've opted for male because i'd prefera calm sort of lap rat. But I am trying to find out how much they smell first.

Do they smell at all? I'd be keeping them in my bedroom as I live in a student house so it is important that my room isn't stinky.

Also, do they tend to wee and poo on you a lot? I have kept gerbils before and they didn't smell at all, and they never messed on my hand once in the 5 years they were alive. Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
Their smell isn't all that bad- female rats definitely smell better, but it's not bad at all. With regular cage changes, it should be fine.

I have one that will poop when she's scared... but I combat this by bringing a small cage into the hallway where I let them run around for free range play. That way, she'll poop in the cage instead of on the floor when she gets scared.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Males rats have a more 'musky' smell then females, but I've found that neutered boys don't get that ;). Rats get used to not going to the bathroom on people, infact mine rarely go outside of the cage if they don't have a litterbox.

The only exception to that was my first heart rat, Lestat. I woke him up from his comfy hammock to play on my bed while I did my homework, and he beelined for my pillow and dead center had what I think might be the biggest pee of his life.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Brad and I actually just bought some "small pet wash" with neem in it today, and it did wonders on the boys. It actually specifically said it was rat-safe, and it's kind of hard to find rat-specific products in chain stores, so we decided to give it a try because neem worked so well on getting rid of dog odor. They still have their grapey smell, but the unpleasant buck grease smell is almost nonexistent. LoL, let's hope this doesn't encourage them to overzealously mark now. Anyways, you might give that a try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, all in all you think it will be fine to keep two males at the end of my bed without smellness if they are cleaned out once a week?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Elythador said:
So, all in all you think it will be fine to keep two males at the end of my bed without smellness if they are cleaned out once a week?
Once a week is advisable, but in my experience (especially if you're going to be in a small room) twice a week would be even better. I've started using towels as bedding - it's literally a case of whacking out the soiled towels, throwing in the new ones (after a quick scrub clean) then washing them in your normal laundry.

Just an idea :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
the amount of cleaning will greatly depend on the cage you have though once a week is a fairly good and stable rule to follow regardless of size. if you have a small cage or a tank (not recommended, but i know people use them) though it will need to be cleaned out more often. what is your cage like?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
40 inches long, 30 inches wide and nine inches high. Not the biggest of cages, I would have liked a multy tier cage but I can't afford it and don't have room. But this one comes with an excersise wheel....rat safe. They'll get loads of excercise as i'll have them out every eve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I have 7 boys and they do get kind of stinky after a few days. I do cage cleanings every other day. But I'm sure it's only because I have so many. I can't imagine only 2 being really smelly.
I'd say do cage cleanings atleast twice a week. The occasional bath does help with my boys alot too.

I'm also in the process of trying to get all my boys neutered too so hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
you may want to clean it twice a week, you'll just have to see what they're like and how the litter holds up to them. i found the best litter for odor control has been yesterday's news. its marketed as a pelleted cat litter. the unscented kind is best to use for their lungs (and personally i think the scented stuff stinks anyway). if you can train them to use a litter box ann can line the cage with fleece it will making cleaning easier, though i'm unsure how it would affect the smell.

and as other people have said before, a neutered male does not smell any worse then what you've left in the cage (i have a larger cage and i've learned the hard way too look fro stashes after feeding fresh foods). i have 2 neutered males and they have no real smell to them at all.

and again, as others have said before me, a young male will be hyper like a female too. i have one young male, Bribery (under a year) and an older male, Stewart (over 2 years). Bribery loves to hand wrestle and play and adventure with the girls, Stewie on the other hand will do a bit of a look around then find a comfy spot and watch tv with me. i have a female, Kakushi (about a year and a half) that will do the same as stewie too, adn my older girl Violet (about the same age Stewie) will hang out in my hair for the most part. age really has a lot to with them cuddly, though i won't discount the gender card either. all i'm saying is if you want insta-lap-rats then go for the older-ish boys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It depends on your cage size. I clean onge a week but i think that it wouldnt smell if i don´t. My cage is too big for my rats.

My boys Newer poo on me, never, they go back to cage if they want to do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea, my boys only pooed on me in the beginning when I first got them. Now they don't. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I am going to buy 2 male rats. I've opted for male because i'd prefera calm sort of lap rat. But I am trying to find out how much they smell first.

Do they smell at all? I'd be keeping them in my bedroom as I live in a student house so it is important that my room isn't stinky.

Also, do they tend to wee and poo on you a lot? I have kept gerbils before and they didn't smell at all, and they never messed on my hand once in the 5 years they were alive. Thanks
rats do not smell unless they are kept in a too small of a cage and they will pee on you to mark you as theres

1 - 14 of 14 Posts