Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm full of posts today sorry :)

I recently got a male rat, my first, and am curious about keeping him in the same room as my girls. Separate of course, no babies wanted.

They both seem very interested in each other. The girls hang out on top his cage sniffing him and when he is out he is all about their cage.

Is it cruel? Or am I just being silly?

·
Registered
601 Posts
All my cages are in the same room. The boys were excited at first, but they got over it. Now during free time they're mostly interested in exploring. Only August still regularly "visits" the girls. He perches near their cage and just...stares...the whole time. LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some people even have them in the same critter nation! Girls in the top and boys in the bottom. You'll be fine with them in the same room.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you want my honest opinion, I think it would be best for both parties if he was neteured and able to live with them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah... I hope he's neutered. He shouldn't be around them if he isn't. If you don't want to go through that procedure, get him another man friend so he won't be lonely.

You're going to have an "unexpected" litter if you decide to let him hang out with the ladies. D:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is in the same room but in different cages. I said in my post that I keep them separate & didnt want babies :)

I will get him a friend in the future, one of my new girls might be pregnant so ill keep a male if so.

·
Registered
624 Posts
He is in the same room but in different cages. I said in my post that I keep them separate & didnt want babies :)

I will get him a friend in the future, one of my new girls might be pregnant so ill keep a male if so.
Ahh, I meant like during play time! ^_^ Didn't know if you played with them separately or not.

I love your Ratty names by the way (GoT is awesome!)

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Some people even have them in the same critter nation! Girls in the top and boys in the bottom. You'll be fine with them in the same room.
I did this and had no issues. ;D Just be extra sure their cages and locks are secure, and "out" time does not overlap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts