Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 little boys reserved in 3 months!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting a pair of rats, but I don’t know what suits me more! I’m hoping for a rat that will enjoy and play with the toys I get for them and run around during free roam, but also whenever I'm doing homework, one that will lay down or sleep on my lap as I work! I don't mind health issues as I have already saved up a vet fund, and I don't care about pee or poop. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,257 Posts
That's a tough one. Girls are crazy, and boys can be lazy 😅

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
They do love to explore and climb and search for seeds and snacks. But they don't 'run' anymore. I have been a terrible rat mom; I gave them too many treats and now they just waddle around like snowballs with feet. I'm trying to fix that with a better diet :sneaky:

From my experience (and I currently have 21, down from 42):

Boys who are not neutered will stay more active, and are less likely to get fat and lazy, but then you have to understand their stink and marking and general boy stuff, and they can get hormonal.
Boys who are neutered don't seem to play as much. Cirrus learned some tricks cuz he is all about food, but as adults none of them chase my hand or toys.
Girls who are not spayed will stay crazy, do a lot of chasing and stuff, and are more likely to be playful in youth and snuggly as adults. But they are prone to mammary tumors.

Phyllis was spayed at 5 months, and even though she never learned to like being picked up, she loves getting inside my robe and playing in my hair and stealing food from my pocket. She doesn't play, like chase my hand or toys, but that's just Phyllis. You remember she was a feeder rat, had a bad start, trust issues, etc.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Oh, and my wild rat Oliver Bean sleeps inside my sleeve while I'm on the computer. Just him, cuz he needs me. But he is wild and runs around like there's a hawk gonna get him lol.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and my wild rat Oliver Bean sleeps inside my sleeve while I'm on the computer. Just him, cuz he needs me. But he is wild and runs around like there's a hawk gonna get him lol.
Awwww I remember him! You found him as a pup!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
@RatCrazyGirl, The Bean is like no other rat I've ever known. He's fast and concerned and worried about everything. He dashes about like lightning, can't even get a pic of him. His buddy Taz-Man is so laid back and relaxed, but I think that's normal for domestic rats. Taz is very trusting and not worried at all. Oliver Bean runs around like his tail's on fire and his head's gonna catch :eek:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@RatCrazyGirl, The Bean is like no other rat I've ever known. He's fast and concerned and worried about everything. He dashes about like lightning, can't even get a pic of him. His buddy Taz-Man is so laid back and relaxed, but I think that's normal for domestic rats. Taz is very trusting and not worried at all. Oliver Bean runs around like his tail's on fire and his head's gonna catch :eek:
Awwwwwwwwwwww!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts