Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new boys today I was told they are boys but after I got them home the person I got them from texted me and told me to wait a few days and make sure that they are boys? I have never tried to sex a baby rat before and my new boys are tiny especially my little runt Pip. Any tips on how to make positively sure they are boys? I can post pictures if it would help

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are rather young pip and forest are 3 weeks roman and emmet are 4 weeks. they came from a bad situation the owner didn't know much about what he was doing and separated them when there eyes opened.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Adult male rats have huge testicles, which makes them very obviously male. I have no idea how to sex rats that young though, having never bred rats sorry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure about Emmett being a boy now Roman refused to hold still long enough for me to tell but Pip is the one i am questioning now...After looking at Pip I am thinking he might be a she. Pip is a little runt so he is very tiny and very hard to tell. If I am able to get pictures could someone help me out?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Get the photos and I can help if someone doesn't beat me to it. You can sex rats easily from birth if you get the knack (and in this case a fairly clear photo), from 3 weeks is very easy, they usually have obvious testicles in the bucks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try and get pictures in the morning when i get home from work but as of now Pip is the only one that i'm worried about anymore forest, emmett, and roman are obviously males. I'm hoping Pip is just a late bloomer but I am loosing hope

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You need to work it out in the next week or two max, after that you've got an increasing chance of them getting pregnant

·
Registered
119 Posts
Send pics to me and I can help identify! If anything, just compare the two side by side and make sure they look the same! Some excellent identification pictures are shown here:
http://angelratdesigns.com/sexingrats.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh sorry obviously I didn't look at the second page XD 100% female.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts