Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as I've posted before (which i can't seem to find now) is about Mama, my oldest female girl i brought home with her litter. I work with her everyday and she's fine out of her cage, not too interested in people but not nippy or biting in anyway.

I know rats have poor eye sight but She seems BLIND and like maybe her smelling isn't up to par (my guess is she was on pine for a while before i brought her home) Can rats loose there sense of smell? Although i never really knew if she had it in the first place.

Only when she's in the cage will she nip, (sad because I've become accustomed to sticking my fingers in the boys cage to pet them) I have never given food through the bars.

She seems interested in the most scared way when i open the cage to have playtime with her daughters(and now Sable). Today i was playing with the girls in the cage when you chase them around with your hand and they run into the nearest box/hide-a-way. Mama had ALREADY smelled me and i had touched her while she was in the cage. I decided to take a video of all the girls running playfully in there cage. While i was taping i wasn't paying attention to the bottom cage door where Mama and Alex were sitting, and my hand was playing with Alex, but rather i was taping Sable escaping to the top of the cage. Just as i look down Mama is near my hand....then she Nipped me REALLY hard on the knuckle. If this had been any other part of my hand i think it would have bleed. Of course i made a *squeak* and she pulled back scared, but ears up.

She's VERY shy still and does not like noises above a normal speaking voice. Even when her daughters play she's squeaking away, scared. Worry I don't want her to be scared, and i don;t know what to do. Her and her daughters head-bobbing is extreme, I've seen head bobbing in other rats, the girls seem to go WAY left and then WAY right. As for her sense of smell, She's fine if she's out and I'm holding her, as soon as she's on her own again and approached, she's got her mouth open as if to bite.

Other then the sight/smell thing She and her daughters are very healthy and active, i almost always see her on the wheel with one of the other girls.
I don't think it's cage aggression, since she's done the Nip thing during free range, Its like she can't tell who someone is until a HARD nibble.

Does anyone know how i can figure out how blind she is and how bad her lack of smell is?

Any feed back is greatly thanked in advance.

·
Registered
489 Posts
hmm im not possitive but if you put your fingers near her eyes to see if she reacts? that might work.

for smell, i'd suggest fresh food(fruits would work) and wave them near her. look for reactions.

that might work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts