Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I recently got a new little girl named Willow. Now I have a question about her behavior. Willow has become pretty comfortable with people holding her (yet she's still very active) and is very sweet. The one thing I've noticed, is that when I take her out to explore and play and, say...put her on my desk or the bed...once she finds my hand or arm or part of me...she practically runs to get to my shoulder and hide in my hair. She even falls asleep in there. I remember my other rat liking to ride on my shoulder but she never turned down exploring to hide there. I guess all rats are different though. Does she just see that as her place of security? Any other reasons she might be doing this? Thanks guys! Oh yeah....here's a cute pic of her doing it too...it's like she's saying "Mommy! Turn out the lights!"

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does she have a friend? If not you're the other rat to cuddle and play with, or as close as it gets.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you have a mommas girl, enjoy it!

i thought coco chanel was a mamas gilr up until i got duchess. Duchess is even bigger mommas girl.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Most rats are more skittish when they do not have a rat friend. It's really best for their mental and physical health to have a friend as rats are EXTREMELY social animals.

But she could also be getting used to things. Trouble is, if it is true that she doesn't have a friend (and I may be jumping to conclusions so forgive me if I am) she may not ever be as outgoing and confident as she would be with a friend.

Just keep working with her, and remedy the friend situation if you haven't. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have two rats at the moment... one, Boobers, is a definite Mama's girl and wants to spend all of her time with my girlfriend, while the other, Mokey, is my buddy, and wants to be with me all the time. (Notice I avoided calling her a "Daddy's girl"... I think the testosterone gang would be by to revoke my membership if I did.)

It's actually really cute, though a bit frustrating since we try to make an equal effort with both of them, and any time I spend with Boobers comes immediately to an end the second my girlfriend walks in the door, and vice versa. We're not quite sure what causes an individual rat to bond to one person so strongly, but I'm with the rest: enjoy it!

And, for the record, Mokey has better taste in humans. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts