Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the weirdest lump on Emma. It's on the inside of her right, rear leg, almost completely towards the back, pressing against her vulva and anus. I've gotta get her into surgery as soon as possible, of course, and I will. And I know their mammary tissue kind of goes everywhere, but the location and the feel of the "tumor" isn't typical of what I've experienced with mammary tumors. The lump feels... thick and dense. Almost like muscle. And not free-floating, either, but rooted in her leg.

It's location made it difficult to see until it got of a size that I noticed it when I picked her up tonight. About the size of a small clove of garlic. Oblong like that, too. Weird. I hope it's just a tumor and we can take it off no problem. :(

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Re: Mammary tumor?

Im sorry im a new rat mum i have only got 4 days experiance ! i hope ur baby is ok though!

Jess x

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Mammary tumor? (Update: likely malignant)

I just spoke with my vet on the phone, and she said with the location and texture I described, it was likely not a benign tumor. She said in her experience, tumors in that area that feel firm like that are "the bad kind".

Emma's my youngest, the baby. Sure, she's two years old, but still. And I just put Bart to sleep last week. I'm so not prepared for this.

We have an appointment on Monday to have the tumor removed. Let's hope it's a cyst or something, instead.

·
Registered
184 Posts

ouch! i wish u luck :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

JulesMichy said:
I just spoke with my vet on the phone, and she said with the location and texture I described, it was likely not a benign tumor. She said in her experience, tumors in that area that feel firm like that are "the bad kind".

Emma's my youngest, the baby. Sure, she's two years old, but still. And I just put Bart to sleep last week. I'm so not prepared for this.

We have an appointment on Monday to have the tumor removed. Let's hope it's a cyst or something, instead.
Honestly JM, I never worry about benign or malignant, just the age/health of the respective rat. I will hope it shells out for your vet but even if it doesn't you might get 4-6 months more wonderful life for your sweetie. :) Its always a chance isn't it?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

lilspaz68 said:
Honestly JM, I never worry about benign or malignant, just the age/health of the respective rat. I will hope it shells out for your vet but even if it doesn't you might get 4-6 months more wonderful life for your sweetie. :) Its always a chance isn't it?
I suppose, but the location makes the prognosis not very optimistic. With a tumor pressing on her bladder, urethra and rectum, it wouldn't have to get very large before causing problems.

·
Registered
187 Posts

We've have a few girls with tumours in that area, they were removed successfully. On one, it did turn out to be malignant but it never returned and Irene lived on to a good old age.
Good luck!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

jorats said:
We've have a few girls with tumours in that area, they were removed successfully. On one, it did turn out to be malignant but it never returned and Irene lived on to a good old age.
Good luck!
Oh, god, thank you. I love you, Jo. I just think "cancer" and freak out. No previous experience with ratties, so everything is new to me.

Surgery is tomorrow. I'd rather do it today, but Dr. B said she had a limited 2 hour window today, if we needed it, and I don't want to ruin her weekend. Have I mentioned before that I LOVE my vet, and I can call her at home on a Sunday for an emergency surgery if necessary?

It's about the size of a large clove of garlic now, and starting to visibly distort her vaginal opening, so I'm concerned about peeing issues. Also, she's goose-stepping a bit, so I think it might be a little painful. But she's still active and eating/drinking normally, so I'll wait for our appointment tomorrow.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got home from Emma's surgery about an hour ago. It went well. I didn't have the tumor biopsied, because if it's malignant or not doesn't matter, so long as it doesn't grow back. The tumor had gotten pretty large in just a couple of days. Bigger than my thumb pad.

Emma's resting quietly, which is a first. I'm just happy she isn't ripping open her incision. I'm exhausted. All I really have to do is open surgery packs for Dr. B and monitor breathing/heartrate, but I still hate having to watch my animals be cut on. It's disturbing as ****.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Glad it went well.

Hope Emma continues to recover well :) Good luck

I agree re. the biopsy - regardless of what it is, there's not much treatment we can offer our little rat kids. Sometime's not knowing and being optimistic is better than knowing and waiting - It's like watching a time bomb

·
Registered
483 Posts
The only time my one rat my male had surgery because the vet thought it was a tumor--- turned out to be a abcess-- so he removed it.=-- hope your girl is resting comfortably

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We've had that, too. Abscesses and tumors look remarkably similar on an x-ray. Once we got her open, we found out Gracie's "tumor" was actually a giant, green pus-filled abscess.

Usually you can tell the difference because a dimple will appear in the middle of an abscess, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts