Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my poor ash has what i think is a mammary tumour growing between her back right leg and her vagina/anus. its pushing everything to the left, so it looks like it would be very uncomfortable when she does secret ratty business. i have her booked in for a consult/surgery on friday. its going to cost me around $250, but my vet will let me pay it off.
this is ash doing her best ~despite all my rage i am still just a rat in a cage~ impersonation...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Re: mammary tumour

Man, that sucks. Good luck.

I've just found exactly the same lump in one of my girls, Lou. She's now 25 months old and she'll be going in to have two lumps (one in her armput also) removed on Wednesday, hopefully.

Very cute pic btw :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

good luck to you, too.

ashy is only about 11 months old :(

and thanx :) she does a great angry rat impersonation, too...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

a pic of ashies tumour...

she's really not comfortable with it. i cant put spazz in the cage with her as spazz does nothing but pick on her and follow her all over the cage. as far as ash is concerned, friday cant come soon enough.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Poor Ash! That's a nasty place to get a lump.

Lou's had her op put back to Monday, and I've found an identical lump on Lily! Maybe this is the month of the mammaries?

Good luck on Friday!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks, instead of february, maybe we call it mammuary, haha...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: mammary tumour *post surgery pic*

ash is home and recovering from her surgery. the vet was quite worried at first when he saw the size of the tumour, and found out how quickly it had grown. he told me not to be too optimistic...

four hours later, they called me to say ash had woken up from her surgery, and was moving around, so i jumped on a bus and went to get her. she has had a nibble of food and a little bit of water, and is now sleeeeeeping under her blankies in the hospital cage.

i took a quick photo on the way home of her operation site...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Poor girl. She deserved extra treats tonight me thinks

How do you think she will handle the stitches? Do you think you'll need to be the stitch police for the next couple of days? o_O lol

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thank you. she slept most of the night away, and is asleep now, but did take time out to bite me!! i was trying to give her some pain relief but she wouldnt take it from the syringe, so i put a drop on my finger and she bit!! she bit harder than loco, my bitey rat does.

i'm keeping an eye on the operation site though, to make sure she doesnt take any stitches out. so far so good...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

inguinal tumors are never fun. I find if you can make it through the first 24 hours or so after surgery that even if they pick a little, its not too bad :)

Poor Ashy, too young for this type of thing. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts

Poor baby! Give her lots of love! Wishing her a quick recovery.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

thank you. she is definitely wanting to get back in the cage with the other girls, but she cant yet. at the moment, she is in the only spare cage i had... a small birdcage. i'll be getting one of my larger spare cages back tomorrow, so with some cage shuffling, ash will move into the hospital cage, which is where myst and spazz are atm, and they will move into one of the larger cages. it'll be so much easier when myst is big enough for the big girls cage...

and so far, still no picking at the wound site...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

:) I love when they make life easy and don't pick! (easier for them, easier for us .. all round win win)

Did she get post op pain meds? I've asked my vet for metacam tomorrow for Lou - hoping that will stop her chewing her stitches (if everything goes ok :( )

It's really good to hear Ash is doing well! :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Glad to hear she is doing well

Jess x

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

i was so relieved that ash survived the surgery (the vet wasnt too optimistic) that i forgot to ask for pain meds (they did tell me when they called that she had taken some), so i stopped off at a pharmacy on the way home with her, and got some babies dymadon paracetamol. i was going to get baby ibuprofen, but the pharmacist said it might make her bleed more and that the best thing is paracetamol. for the americans, you dont have paracetamol, the closest you have is acetaminophen, which we dont have here.

so, saturday morning i went to give her a little tiny drop of dymadon but she wouldnt take it from the syringe, so i put a tiny drop on my finger. she took one tiny taste, then CHOMP!!! she bit my finger so hard it bled for hours. she has never bitten anyone ever before. i guess she didnt need any pain relief, lol. i havent tried to give her any since, but she seems to be ok. she did the little "i'm hurt" eep on the way home from the vet, but none since.

i took spazz out of the little sister cage this morning, and put ash in with myst for a little while to see if they would be ok together, but myst kept trying to pick at the stitches, so ash is back in the birdcage and spazz is back in the little sister cage...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

daisy184 said:
any more pics of healing?
because you asked so nicely, i'll take another one in the morning :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: mammary tumour *more pics*

ok, i took a couple more pics.
ash resting in my shirt...

ash's wound site this morning...

it looks worse than it actually is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts