Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
305077


Hi, so this Ruby. She is about 1 year and 7 months, just wondering what people should think the course of action should be with her. I'm planning to get it removed as it's too large for my liking. But I've heard they just grow back, I did think of having her spayed but apparently she's too old for it to make a difference now. This is a difficult decision. What would you guys do? (her assessment is on Monday)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Hi. Ruby looks like a lovely girl.:)
I'm not sure how to ask this, in case I have misunderstood, but are you weighing up between having the surgery vs. putting her to sleep? Forgive me if that's not what you meant.
I think I would go along to the assessment on Monday open to professional advice, with a view to you and the vet making the decision together. Often when we get medical information it helps us to decide so I hope that's how it works with you.
Great idea asking on this forum, because people out there will have been through this territory and will have learned a lot of things to pass on to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Ruby looks like a lovely girl.:)
I'm not sure how to ask this, in case I have misunderstood, but are you weighing up between having the surgery vs. putting her to sleep? Forgive me if that's not what you meant.
I think I would go along to the assessment on Monday open to professional advice, with a view to you and the vet making the decision together. Often when we get medical information it helps us to decide so I hope that's how it works with you.
Great idea asking on this forum, because people out there will have been through this territory and will have learned a lot of things to pass on to you.
Hi, no definitely not on putting her to sleep she's still a happy healthy rat other than the mamory tumour! 😰 (she's always struggled with being over weight but it's a genetic thing, her sister is over weight too but they're the only 2 that are, out of 13 😅) This was more of a debate of if its worth getting her spayed also. Or maybe any advice on keeping it from growing back. I've been to a different vet before who took a sample from the tumour to make sure it was cancer, but other than that she wasn't much help. She said its too late for spaying to help and removing it, it would just grow back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I would say that if you have the funds and she is a good candidate for surgery (is she likely to reject meds or try to get at incisions?), go ahead and get that lump removed. She will be much more comfortable that way and you may get more time with her— I had a lump removed from one of my girls back in October and I’ve been fortunate enough that it has not come back.

As for spaying, I’ve been told by my vet & read online that after 6 months, spays will not help reduce tumor growth because excess estrogen has already been produced. A spay later than 6 months would be more to sterilize them so they can be kept with males or to solve pyometra if they have it.

I hope this helps!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tha k
I would say that if you have the funds and she is a good candidate for surgery (is she likely to reject meds or try to get at incisions?), go ahead and get that lump removed. She will be much more comfortable that way and you may get more time with her— I had a lump removed from one of my girls back in October and I’ve been fortunate enough that it has not come back.

As for spaying, I’ve been told by my vet & read online that after 6 months, spays will not help reduce tumor growth because excess estrogen has already been reduced. A spay later than 6 months would be more to sterilize them so they can be kept with males or to solve pyometra if they have it.

I hope this helps!!
Thank you :)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top