Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, here's the background - i have 3 girls. one, sif, is an OCD clean freak, and is always cleaning herself. the other, skadi, is fairly clean as well. the 3rd, kola, seems to be developing what looks like mangeyness. she cleans herself, but not to the extent of the other 2, i usually just see her cleaning her face. she is the 'smelly one'. i've tried giving her baths, but that doesnt seem to last. her fur is mostly white with her head being brown and a brown strip down her back. on her knees, the fur appears to be thinning, or rubbed down. also, around her whiskers it looks like she might be loosing hair. has anyone experienced this that might know whats causing it? she just looks dirty.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've had one rat with mange before and the symptoms for him were

*increased water intake (he would drink half a bottle in one night)
*redness of the skin or inflamed areas
*general malaise (he didn't want to run around much, he usually just sat and cleaned)
*hair loss (his hair was incrediby easy to even pull out, at one point he lost 80% of the hair on his body)
*weight loss

The treatment he got from the vet was a mite injection, repeated weekly and a cream (I can't for the life of me remember the name, I'm sorry) that I had to rub into him twice weekly.

I'd suggest if she's anything like the above, to contact your vet

1 - 2 of 2 Posts