Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently found a recommendation for Marshall Bi-Odor/Good-bye Odor for small animals(rats). It has quite a bit of really high ratings and people swearing it works, but there's also a few negatives saying it's unhealthy.

What's your take on it? Do you use it? Have you used it in the past? Would you not touch it with a 10 foot pole?

If it's okay for my rats health, I'd love to give it a try. I'm looking for anything to reduce as much odor as possible since I'm in a fairly small apartment with my husband who isn't too thrilled about having any pet odor.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would never add anything to their water. It can discourage them from drinking. If anyone does add this to their pets water, I highly suggest giving a second bottle of pure fresh water too.

I also am wary of giving my pets stuff like this that is full of chemicals and god knows what.

You can try getting a pet odor air purifier. They apparently work really well at helping the smell down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would never add anything to their water. It can discourage them from drinking. If anyone does add this to their pets water, I highly suggest giving a second bottle of pure fresh water too.

I also am wary of giving my pets stuff like this that is full of chemicals and god knows what.

You can try getting a pet odor air purifier. They apparently work really well at helping the smell down.
Ya, the fact that it's supposed to eliminate odor internally within the rat seems scary and unnatural. Makes you wonder what goes on in there. The air purifier is a good idea, I'm searching some on amazon and price range isn't too bad, some for 30$. Says filter lasts 3 months and replacement filters are 11$ for 3 pack. I might actually go with that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm not someone who fears chemistry. If I were you I'd look online and see if you can find the science behind the product. It might be just fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use it and all my friends with rats also use it. There's been no negative affects. I've been using it with my rat for over a year. It's virtually tasteless, so it doesn't keep your rat from drinking. Yeah, I tasted it to see if it had any taste and it doesn't. :D

It works great for eliminating odors from the feces and urine.

http://www.pettreasures.com/marshallsgoodbyeodor.aspx

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use baking soda under the litter in their pans and that really eliminates smell without having to add anything. Plus a pee rock in the pan, all my boys use them, the girls not as much.

the only thing I add to their water sometimes is apple cider vinegar and I only do that in one water source. (they have 2) They seem to like the taste of it and it naturally kills a lot of bacteria. I do that maybe once a month for several days in a row. I do that with my chickens and indoor birds as well. Water bottles I like doing it with because I have this weird paranoia of the tube getting things I can't see in it. Mine usually all purposely for the vinegar water for the first day or two exclusively. Which I find amusing since I found an article saying to spray vinegar around to get rid of wild rats because rats don't like the smell of vinegar. Mine also like pickles so go figure.

·
Registered
365 Posts
How much vinegar do you add? I want to try this to help water bottles stay cleaner.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does it actually change the urine ? My rat is allergic to his own waste so maybe this could help him.. I will have to do some research!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts