Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...So I just discovered that this variety was a thing! It looks so interesting... I'm wondering, are they exclusively a UK thing, or are there breeders of this variety in the US?

For those of you who have never seen one (note: these pictures are not mine)

I think this is an absolutely gorgeous variety! They look like little porcupines... I wish I'd known they existed before!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is it just the color/eye color combo? Or is their fur diffrent to? Really pretty rat, love eyes that color.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think their fur is the same, Lita, it's just the eye/color combo, but boy, it's still stunning! I'd love to see a line that's been bred for richer blacks.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The gene originally came from europe and was called Red Eyed Devils, before toyah (from Hawthorn stud up in glasgow) imported them a few years back. She renamed them martin as she didnt like the conotations of red eyed devils (plus it gets confusing with us having red eyed dilute gene too). Theres now quite a few of them around the country and you see them at most shows, though they are only in new varieties at the moment (i expect that to change soon and move up to guide standard as its becoming an established variety). I actually prefer the agouti version, which is called Silver Agouti, especially in black eyes. Its a stunning ticked grey colour and especially nice in the flesh.

For anyone interested in the genetics from whats been looked into so far these seem to be on the C locus, like siamese and albino. You can also get pointed varients and them in a varitey of tones, though black/agouti based are the most common, i have seen several russian blue martins/ SA's.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would love a couple of rats from Hawthorns some day. I see shes taking a break from breeding for a while. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she might be active again next year.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I really envy all of you overseas, people really seem to take it seriously over there. I wish the states would ban live feeding.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't doub lives feeding happens here too out of sight, but I'm so glad I don't have to see feeder bins whenever I go in a pet shop. I'd end up with a hoard of rats!

·
Registered
543 Posts
My first original 3 rats came from a secret UK back room feeder bin. Me and Ria called the RSPCA, the rats all got homed out to fosters and the shops closed now. I'm not sure on other cities but we're pretty hot on any abuse in pet shops in the Midlands! I purposely visit new ones (going to a new one after work tonight actually!) to check conditions and flag it up with them to give them chance to change it. Some listen, some don't. Thats when I call the RSPCA. I don't deal with animal abuse at all. I'm just grateful we don't have a big feeder bin problem.. And @Kitterpuss, I call pet shops AHEAD to see if they have rats otherwise I know I will be coming home with new buddies... Although.. Ria did ask the other day where I would put another SRS :p The plans working!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The fact that it's just openly available here is what makes it a problem. And yeah...I've had my feeder bin hoards in the past >.< Now I've just got my sweet little Odin from the bin, though Freyja and Loki came from a slightly more decent pet store. My husband went with me to get mealworms for the scale babies the other day and we ventured into the rat room of course. I keep seeing blue agoutis popping up at that store every now and then and it's soooooo hard not to take one home.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is all really cool (and sad, in the case of the above), but I don't think LF is allowed outside of rants and raves (though I agree with you all 100%, I'd hate to lose a thread!)

Meanwhile, so, the "marten" variety has nothing to do with the black coat and red eyes? Can you breed any variety (except albino and siamese, since they're on the C locus too) into it? If so, do you think the standard will start to include any sort of color range? I'm not a fan of agouti so if it comes down to it I would hope gray/black would be the range...

It's a recessive gene, isn't it? So, let's say someone in America just happened to import two studs... :p
Quick someone get like $2,000 for the Martens in America fund.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, so cute! Is there something different between Marten and red colored eyes? Marten seems to be a lot richer, somehow, though it might just be because these are all professional pictures I'm seeing of them x3

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't understand how agouti/"rew"-type rats can be considered martens, then. I'm really confused because it says white is a fault, and it also says any brown hues (which agouti would be) is also a fault.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I live in southern Louisiana, and my breeder is having these imported later this year. I dunno if I'll be getting any, I try to stay away from her imported lines for at least the first year...I prefer to stick to her lines that I know what to expect/have studied. Especially after she ended a very young imported line for aggression/shotty health. Anyways...they are beautiful! Their eyes remind me of my fawn girl,.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts