Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get a Martin's cage. I have the cages narrowed down to the two that I want.

Which is better, galvanized or powder coated (which is what I want)? Galvanized is a heck of a lot cheaper, but it seems like it would be hard to clean, or would rust if a rat pees on it. Is the extra money worth getting the powder coated?

Also, is there a... say... company or something that makes cages similar to Martin's, but not quite so expensive? Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Powder coated. Galvanized will start to stink (it absorbs the urine) after a few months. Many people have thrown out galvanized cages, as once they start to smell, you can not get rid of it. Definitely get the power coated. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kimmiekins said:
Powder coated. Galvanized will start to stink (it absorbs the urine) after a few months. Many people have thrown out galvanized cages, as once they start to smell, you can not get rid of it. Definitely get the power coated. :)
I'll definitely go with powder coated then. I'd hate to spend all that money on a cage, just to throw it out because it's absorbed smells. x.x

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
I'm with them powder coated all the way but if you're looking for a martins like cage for a cheaper price I wouldn't think it's likely to get the same quality. I know you can sometimes buy a used martins on craigslist or ebay for much less, so you may want to check that out.

One more thing. Have you thought about a ferret nation? You can order a FN 141 for 112.00 at ferret.com, and they only have 6.99 shipping. NO JOKE! lol Anyhoo here's the link http://www.ferret.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=630303
I've ordered from them, and I got my cage. I think it took a little bit of time but doesn't everything when you're waiting for it in the mail?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MopyDream44 said:
I'm with them powder coated all the way but if you're looking for a martins like cage for a cheaper price I wouldn't think it's likely to get the same quality. I know you can sometimes buy a used martins on craigslist or ebay for much less, so you may want to check that out.

One more thing. Have you thought about a ferret nation? You can order a FN 141 for 112.00 at ferret.com, and they only have 6.99 shipping. NO JOKE! lol Anyhoo here's the link http://www.ferret.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=630303
I've ordered from them, and I got my cage. I think it took a little bit of time but doesn't everything when you're waiting for it in the mail?
Wouldn't a small rat get out of a FN though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
yes, a small right probably will. there are other rat-owners here who have FNs covered with hardware cloth, hopefully someone can post a pic or link to one. but if you have small girls, you'll probably need to cover it. it takes a little work, but doesn't look too bad if you do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OnlyOno said:
yes, a small right probably will. there are other rat-owners here who have FNs covered with hardware cloth, hopefully someone can post a pic or link to one. but if you have small girls, you'll probably need to cover it. it takes a little work, but doesn't look too bad if you do it right.
I think I've seen pictures of some modified cages on here. I also looked up what hardware cloth was just to get a better idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just thinking... what about tank toppers? I have a ten gallon tank sitting around. Does anyone have experience with tank toppers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
zlioness said:
I was just thinking... what about tank toppers? I have a ten gallon tank sitting around. Does anyone have experience with tank toppers?
No good, sadly. I used to use a topper, my rats always sneezed. The ammonia stays in the tank just like it would without a topper, you'd have to clean it basically every day to keep it clean. Plus a 10 gallon is just too small, a lot of boy rats get to be longer than they are deep, so there's no room to run around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
free shipping from amazon....I was nusted lol. Oh well! Ono is correct. You need to cover it with hardware cloth, and it may be an additional 20$ to do so. It's a pain but it's really not hard! I'll try to load pics tomorrow unless someone beats me to it!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top