Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, you've been nothing but helpful in the past so I'm going to raid your knowledge again.

As some of you probably know, I had one rat, named Addo. About 2 months ago I aquired a tiny baby boy who we named Edgar. Ed was teeny weeny, but pulled through.

After the proper introductions were made, 3 weeks of QT, cages being next to each other for ages, bathtub intros, lap intros etc, they were put into the big cage together.

They had a few squabbles, but nothing major, and started sleeping in the hammock together after about 2 days (we had two or three beds and hammocks anyway)

But they got sick. Both of them. Edgar got RIDICULOUSLY skinny, but I think that was from Addo stopping him from eating.

Now they are both fine and I'm absolutely desperate to get them together again, but WHAT can I do about Addo's over-dominance! Is it a lost cause? I hope not, they got along pretty well aside from the eating thing (as far as I can see. It seems like if there is food around, Ads will just eat it to stop Edgar from getting any!

Now they're in the bathtub again, playing around, no fights or anything (THOUGH Addo seems to go for Edgar's goolies a lot. He doesn't hurt them, no visible violence or squeaking, he just gets his face right in there, IS THIS NORMAL?)

Sorry this was so long, it's bugging me and quite upsetting. Thanks a lot guys <3

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You can always do seperate feeding times for them. Take Addo out to play for a bit and put the food in the cage for Edgar to eat. I had to do that for a while with two of my girls.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it subside eventually? At the moment they are in the cage together (proper introductions done AGAIN) and getting along quite well...

...apart from Addo eating all the food simply so Ed can't have any :|

But Edgar is stealing pasta straight from his hands haha

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah do what stephanie said.

Seperate feeding then after awhile see what happens without seperating them.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have 4 girls together who are ALL dominant with food - e.g. if Lily picks up a nugget, Kitty will steal it etc and it causes no end of problems.

If you have a big enough cage, why don't you try two separate food bowls? One at each end? Or one on an upper level, one on a lower level? That way Ed and Addo can both eat in peace? After all, Addo can't be in both places at once, can he? :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick update :)

Addo and Edgar *SEEM* to be getting along great now! I'm watching them very closely, have seen Ed eating inside the cage (though I am still taking him out for food every day), and grooming Addo. Addo also grooms Edgar now and then.

They sleep in the hammock together and only have the occasional scrap, which is pretty short lived (usually Addo pestering little Ed... the bully!)

·
Registered
155 Posts
when i put my rats in the bathtub together for intoductions i put some dog food in and when pooky was eating and winky was full she will bound to pooky snatch the food drop it. pooky would try to eat and the same thing happened again. it was funny pooky did not care at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts