Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started on baytril and dabbed on the blu-kote tonight. Lets hope this works for the little sweet old gal. She must have a genetic predisposition towards bumblefoot or her cage was filthy, 'cuz she sure isn't obese. :roll:

I have only treated "bumbles" once before and that was with old Farraday. We used the baytril and Fuciderm ointment with the DMSO to get it deep into the tissues with no effect. I was given some Blu-kote and started using that. It was starting to dry up the bumbles but then my sweet old man contracted pneumonia and had to be pts.

I am very curious as to how it does this time around. :)

Mattie's bumblefoot if you haven't seen it already

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Re: Mattie's bumblefoot

Owch.

I'd hate to walk around with sore footsies like that so I can't imagine what it's like for her.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Mattie's bumblefoot

On top of Mattie's bumblefoot she had what we thought was a mini-stroke which I treated and she was recovering.

Today she had a bigger stroke...sigh.

I gave her a sub-cutaneous injection of dexamethasone (steroid) and gentocin (ab to combat the immune-suppression effects of the steroid) as well as 2 cc's of ringer's lactate fluid.

Its all up to her now. :(

Here are some videos of what she looks like after the stroke.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: Mattie's bumblefoot...and now a stroke :(

So sad, I'm sorry. It looks like she's giving it a good effort though, hopefully she's got the strength.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have her on my lap and she is slowly leaving us. She is doing the gasp *click* that is a dreaded sign, her heart is racing and feels irregular, and I am telling her to let go. She is quiet, her eyes closed, with the occasional stretch out but I don't think she's suffering. She has gone away already. Sigh.

Her beloved cagemate was taken from her and often older very bonded rats will only live for a short while afterwards, and then they will give up if there's any adversity. My poor sweet Mattie. :cry:

·
Registered
227 Posts

I understand how you feel. I'm so very sorry. :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

She is still with us this morning. She didn't like being in the bottom of the carrier I use for the most part, since she kept dragging herself out. So I rolled on my side and tucked her up against me where I kept her warm and occasionally stroked her. It wasn't a restful night for either of us but we dozed. She had a few sessions of the horrid gasping attacks last evening but have had none during the night or so far this morning. She won't drink on her own (tried the rehydration fluid formula), so I gave her almost 6 cc's of sub-q fluids, along with an upped dose of dexamethasone and gent.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Best wishes little Mattie. I'm glad she's still with you and we are sending our best thoughts.

·
Registered
155 Posts

if she is feeling cold there is this thing that is kinda like a heating pillow to help us releave stress if you can find that it can probably help her and try to run a vaporizer next to her that can probably help her.

the rest is up to you mattie. hang in there YOU CAN DO IT!!!
*runs away crying*

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ahh pooky, the little thing above her head is one of those rice-filled warmers. I keep reheating that for her when I don't have her lying on me.

don't cry ((hugs)), I think its her time. She quietly bruxes when I stroke her, and she will let go when she can. Its just not yet. :(

but thank you for all your words. I have been through so many losses of my rats but each one is just as sad. I just deal better afterwards now. :roll:

·
Registered
155 Posts

*still crying whahaahahaha!!!!* *sniveling* but what about her cage mat? *snivel*

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

pooky said:
*still crying whahaahahaha!!!!* *sniveling* but what about her cage mat? *snivel*
Cage mat? She is on fleece in the baseof one of my wire cage carriers, with the rice-filled warmer thing near her, and I put another fleece over them to keep her warm. If she's not sleeping in there, she is on my belly while I stroke her and talk to her.

I just gave her another 6 cc's of ringer's lactate to keep her hydrated and more comfortable.

·
Registered
227 Posts

I think Pooky might have meant cage mate but negelected the e.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Ahhh..her cagemate was pts by a vet who thought she was dying...sigh. She was sick with URI but nowhere near that stage..I met her and her new owner at the clinic but was shocked to hear that the vet decided to put her to sleep. Her new owner had just gotten the old ladies off of some woman on Craigslist who didn't want them anymore. Then she and I started talking and when poor Mattie ended up very depressed and unhappy by herself, I took her in and intro'd her to Shadow and my 2 new neutered boys. She was very happy for a couple of weeks, then she had a mini-stroke. This one is a full-blown one I do not think she will recover from or she would've responded to the meds by now. :(

When she came into my life 3 weeks ago

After her mini-stroke with her new friend Shadow

And you know how she is now.

·
Registered
155 Posts

i am so sad now whahahahhahhahahha

1 - 20 of 44 Posts