Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on vacation in september and my husband stayed behind and took care of the girls. Now they all mind me but they know Ty is a major pushover and they take advantage of him, no joke. So about a week into the trip he calls me all frantic and says that they've chewed a hole in the mattress I use as a box spring and were playing inside it. I had taken the bed off the frame several months prior to this incident for a number of reasons. When I finally got back home I put the bed back on the frame, thinking that it'd stop them. It didn't. They could still worm their way into it despite it being flush with the frames side. So I patched that up and thought "that'll stop 'em". And it did for a while, but they just got craftier and sneakier. This time they chewed a hole the size of my fist in the bottom of the mattress.

I have an Ikea bed and the slots that keep the mattress on the frame is about 20 bowed pieces of wood with a three inch gap between each slot of wood. They managed to chew a hole in this thing upside down without me noticing it. I still wouldn't have known had I not glanced under the bed looking for something and spotted foam strewn out all over the place.

So then I had to brainstorm for ideas on how the heck to fix this mess and keep the little devils from doing it again. I settled on cardboard. I finished it last night and during free range today it's worked like a charm. I had to be sure that there were no holds or uneven spots that they could gnaw on because I really don't want to have to do this all over again!

Pink Textile Wall Wallpaper Pattern
Floor Room Architecture Flooring Furniture

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had the same problem. Mine chewed a hole in the box spring and got inside and also stashed food. What I did to fix it was : they sell thin slabs of wood at home depot or lowes. I think 2' x 4 ' ( thats a guess). I put it all the way around the bed to block it off so they cant get to the bed. It works pretty well. Although two of my boys are smart and figured out how to jump and clear it but the others have not figured it out. It might be a solution for you.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying to put it up like a border around the bed so there's no access to the underside? Or is it put the wood between the mattress and the frame? I've already done #2 so they can't get at the sides of the mattress anymore

·
Registered
966 Posts
I made a border around the bed. It will keep them from going under or getting on top of the bed.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, ok. For now I'll stick with the cardboard duct taped to the bottom of the frame. They have free roam of my bedroom so they're welcome on the bed, just not inside!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just remember unless you can block access to the sides of the mattress as well, they may chew through the sides of mattress to get in it. Thats how mine got in.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, already got that covered!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.