Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Maya about 3 weeks ago and this afternoon I was cuddling her and felt a lump on her left side close to her rear leg. She is young, probably around 8-10 weeks old. She is also the lowest on the totem pole in my mischief.
I handle her daily and have never noticed this lump before; could it have developed overnight ish? She is acting normal and had no problem with me touching it.
My biggest worry is finding a vet to take her to, she might have to wait till my next trip to Chicago for thanksgiving.
And help or insight will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have you tried to look at the lump? I would sorta doubt it would be a tumor in a rat that young, although it's not unheard of. It could be an abscess. See if you can get a good look at it. Feel it, does it feel hard or fluid filled? Does it move around?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try and take a video, I want able to move the fur out of the way, it seemed completely under the skin, not like an open wound or anything. It didn't seem "hard" but it doesn't seem liquidy either

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Do warm compresses twice a day for as long as you can hold her. If it came up quick and she's the bottom of the pack it's likely an abscess from a wound from grooming or rough play. An abscess will continue to get big until it comes to a head and pops.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The warm compress lasted about 5 minutes, only the first 30 seconds were non wiggly... we'll try again tomorrow morning. And yet she still runs around and rough houses/jumps on the other girls like a wild woman! I'm very happy she at least is acting like herself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts