Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed today that my rat has small bites on her body and when I looked, I saw something small and red moving on her, is this lice??

And from what I've heard, we can't catch lice from rats and neither can my other pets, right?

Any help would be really appreciated, my mother happens to be freaking out about this haha, if it was mites, we wouldn't be able to see them, right?

·
Registered
350 Posts
You are correct mites you can't see and lice are little crawly things. The rodent lice can't live off of human blood or other non rodent pets so you wont become infested, that should put your mothers nerves as ease. You do need to treat all of the rats in the cage and clean off everything they are in contact with or they will just get re infected.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thank you, I'm planning on going to my local pet store to see if they have anything to treat it, or am I best booking her in the vets tomorrow? I plan to buy some new things for the cage, luckily she only has one other cage mate so I plan to split them up and treat them separately so hopefully that'll do it...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, I'll try and buy it on amazon, I've never dealt with lice before and I have no idea where she even got them from, she's mostly in her cage and when she isn't, usually she lives on my shoulder or runs around on my bed

·
Registered
966 Posts
Freeze food and if you use bedding for 48 hrs. Before using. Lice can be in food or bedding. Clean cage thoroughly

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you, I actually intend to change the bedding while they're being treated, they're going the vets today to see for definite if it IS lice, so we'll have to see and if it is I'll be buying new items for the cage...the food all seems fine because I've never had an issue with it before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I don't know if I can double post but...we took them the vets and according to the nurse we saw, they do have lice and it looks like it's come from the bedding pets at home sold us, so now my rats who dislike anything being rubbed on them, have to have lotion rubbed on them, I'm gonna look into the stuff for the neck but mum won't allow it, also according to the nurse, our whole house has lice and so do our dogs and us? mum refuses to believe that the lice may just be on the rats, so we have to treat the dogs and the house.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You need a better vet, that's simply not true, the neck drops work perfectly. I've never herd about lice being treated by lotion before. It sounds like you were lied to for profit. Why can't you just order it on amazon?

Rat lice are Polyplax spinulosa

Lice are species specific, meaning they do not cross from one species to another. They will spend their entire life cycle, approximately 14 to 21 days, from egg to nymph to adult on the host. They obtain nutrition by sucking blood, which in turn can cause anemia to the rat. They are also able to transmit the parasite Hemobartonella muris, leading to a disease similar to tick fever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would the lice treatment for back of the neck kill the eggs too though? that's what I'm uncertain about. I know my vet was lying for profit, but my mum still thinks it's better using the lotion on them every month for three months. I don't think my vet understood how difficult it is to rub that on a rat, especially after he saw how hard it was to keep ahold of my rat.

I'm gonna plead with my mum to let me get the neck drops, I really don't want to lose fingers over this.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What is the active ingredient in the lotion? Selamectin (Revolution) and Ivermectin both work by making your pet poisonous to the lice. The repeat dosage every month makes me think your lotion is one of these. The repeated doses kill the lice that are eggs today when they become adults.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vet told us the dosage, two sprays to her back and massage it in, we've read the instructions and treated two of them today. My other two rats get the neck drops delivered Monday or Tuesday so they'll be sorted too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you, and thanks for the help on this.

hopefully it'll all be cleared up in a couple of months, quite annoying that they even ended up with lice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts